How to move a VM that has attached a PassThru Drive (physical drive)

Hello guys,

I have a dilema. I need to move several VMs from one hyper-v host (2012) to another host (2012 R2), but some of these VMS have attached a physical drive. It seems like it is not possible. 

Is there any way to do that, please?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Gabriel

October 4th, 2014 3:36am

You can live-migrate VMs from 2012 to 2012 R2 hypervisor.

You can live-migrate VMs with directly attached physical disks (pass-through disks) ONLY if:

• The VM is running on a failover cluster, AND
  • The VM config file resides on a CSV, AND
  • The physical disks are configured as a storage disk resource under control of the failover cluster and are properly configured as a dependent resource for the VM.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 4th, 2014 4:53am

depends a bit on your infrastructure. if the pass through disk is for example a SAN lun, you can move it to the new host. if you have enough storage on the new host and are not fixed on the pass through approach, you can give disk2vhd (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx ) a shot, with it you can create a vhdx of the disk in question on the new host and use the vhdx there instead of the physical disks. if you want to stay with the pass through disk, and theres no "easy" options like with a SAN, you have to migrate the data (backup/restore, 3rd party tools)
October 4th, 2014 5:10am

Hi Gabriel,

"I need to move several VMs from one hyper-v host (2012) to another host (2012 R2), but some of these VMS have attached a physical drive."

"1. turning off the vm

2. i've create a new vhdx disk as a copy of the physical drive that was attached to my VM

3. i've created a new vm that of which disk is the new disk i've created

The problem is now that the original VM has no physical disk attached to it and ofcourse it doesn't start."

Also you have mentioned :"The problem is now that the original VM has no physical disk attached to it and ofcourse it doesn't start." .

Generally ,the pass-through disk is used for data .

Could you please tell us why the original VM can't start without the pass-through disk ?

The original VM still can not startup when you attach the copied VHDX file?

If the original VM can start up with copied VHDX file ,you may use export/import to migrate it into 2012R2 hyper-v host .

Best Regards

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 7th, 2014 5:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics