How to migrate Schema Master from 2003 x86 to 2008 x64?
I am migrating my domain controllers from Win2003 x86 to Win2008 x64 on new hardware. I was able to transfer 4 out of 5 FSMO roles via the GUI to one of the new 2008 dc's. How can I transfer the Schema Master role? If I logon to the 2008 dc and follow these directions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255690/en-us and try to run: regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll it fails with an error I'm assuming because its a 32 bit command? Without registering that dll I can't see the Active Direcotory Schema plugin when starting up the mmc. My domain and forest functional levels are still at Win2000 levels if that makes any difference. Thanks!
May 16th, 2008 1:09am

There are a few ways toachieve this -I would use the NTDSUTIL tool. From the 2008 DC, run ntdsutil from a command prompt type ROLES and then enter type CO and then enter type CO TO SERVER <your2008dcname> and then enter type Q and then enter type TRANS SC MA and then enter you will be prompted with a GUI box whether you want to transfer the schema FSMO to that DC, click Yes Q and then enter Q and then enter You're done - Stuart Hudman
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2008 1:49am

Hi I got this until I ran the command prompt as administrator then it registered
May 16th, 2008 1:50am

Hello, To transfer the Schema master role to Windows Server 2008, you can run Active Directory Schema MMC on the Window Server 2003 and remotely connect to the Windows Server 2008 x64 domain controller then transfer the roles to it. Transferring the Schema Master Role 1. On the Windows Server 2003 domain controller, run "regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll" to register the schema MMC. 2. On the Windows Server 2003 domain controller, click Start, click run, type mmc, and then click OK. 3. On the Console, menu click Add/Remove Snap-in. 4. Click Add. 5. Click Active Directory Schema. 6. Click Add. 7. Click Close to close the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box. 8. Click OK to add the snap-in to the console. 9. Right-click the Active Directory Schema icon, and then click Change Domain Controller to the x64 Windows Server 2008. 10. Click Specify Domain Controller, type the name of the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK. 11. Right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Operation Masters. 12. In the Change Schema Master dialog box, click Change. Hope it helps.
May 16th, 2008 12:35pm

Miles, I tried your method but when I get to step 9 and try to change to the new 2008 dc I get this error: The Domain Controller could not be set. The paramenter is incorrect. I click OK, then right-click on Active Directory Schema again, click Change Domain Controller then it lists my new 2008 as the Current DC. So I cancel that window, right-click on Active Directory Schema a 3rd time and choose Operations Master. The Change Schema Master window appears and it lists the correct current schema master (my old 2003 server) and my new 2008 server below it. I click the Change button, click Yes then get another error: The parament is incorrect. The transfer of the current Operations Master could not be performed. I can click OK or More Info. I am using an account that is a member of the Schema admins, Enterprise Admins and Domain Admins. I will try the other methods suggested. Thanks for the quick repies.
May 16th, 2008 4:33pm

goatherder wrote: There are a few ways toachieve this -I would use the NTDSUTIL tool. From the 2008 DC, run ntdsutil from a command prompt type ROLES and then enter type CO and then enter type CO TO SERVER <your2008dcname> and then enter type Q and then enter type TRANS SC MA and then enter you will be prompted with a GUI box whether you want to transfer the schema FSMO to that DC, click Yes Q and then enter Q and then enter You're done - Stuart Hudman Many thanks, this way took me 20 seconds, no problems Ben
May 16th, 2008 5:37pm

Thank you Stuart! I followed your steps and the schema master transferred with no problems.
May 16th, 2008 6:16pm

also to access the schema plugin via mmc on a 64 bit serverbrowse to system32 directory and findscmmgmt.dll right click the dll and copy it then in the same directory find regsvr32 right click and paste your schema plugin will now be visible in the available MMC plugins
June 25th, 2008 3:35am

I'm not sure what the above comment is suppose to do it doesnt make any sence to me....what I did was open the command prompt as administrator & typed the following: regsvr32 schmmgmt.dllThis worked for me :)Cheers,Skywalker
April 13th, 2010 6:47am

also to access the schema plugin via mmc on a 64 bit serverbrowse to system32 directory and find scmmgmt.dll right click the dll and copy it then in the same directory find regsvr32 right click and paste your schema plugin will now be visible in the available MMC pluginsi get popup message:The module "C:\Windows\System32\schmmgmt.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201why..?
April 16th, 2010 1:08pm

Hi, I fallow the same steps but I am still I am not able to open the scmma master in the 2008 AD. Please find the bellow error. The module “Schmmgmt .dll” was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer Failed with error code 0x80040201. Thanks and Regards Somashekhar Nagarabetta
May 10th, 2010 7:37am

Hope this helps, IN ORDER TO GET THE MMC SNAP-IN REGISTERED: After getting the same error (0x80040201), I verified schema admin group membership, which was in place, and opened the command prompt with "run as administrator" and then successfully ran the regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll . I was already logged into the server with the elevated account (schema / enterprise admin account), but it was the additional "run as admininstrator" for the command prompt that solved this issue for me. MatG_VA
December 9th, 2010 12:34pm

I don't see an answer yet so here is how I resolved the problem: Perform the transfer of Schema Master to the 2008 DC server from the 2003 DC server. Specifically, logon to the 2003 DC, register and open Schema Manager, connect to the 2008 domain controller and transfer. Remember to allow time for the transfer to complete and use NETDOM to verify before demoting your 2003 DC. BTW: The process of transferring FSMO roles, including registering the Schema Management snap-in is identical on Windows 2003/2008 32/64-bit. If registering a DLL does not work you have other problems like corrupt files or missing updates/service packs, etc. Good luck!
February 9th, 2011 8:30pm

I have seen this error when commands are not running from an elevated cmd prompt. One that worked for us was going to start>>all programs>>accesssories>>command prompt then runas on this command prompt. we tried this on the cmd prompt in the start menu but for some reason they are different.
March 24th, 2011 7:50am

That sorted it for me - as soon as I ran the elevated command prompt, I was able to register the DLL and then got the AD Schema add-in as I did in Server 2003 Thank you!
June 14th, 2011 10:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics