How to manage OCSP responder from a 2008 R2 standard edition
Hello, I have a 2008 R2 Certificate services installation with the On line responder on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise edition server. Now I need to manage the certificate service and the OCSP from another Windows 2008 R2 server, standard edition. When I tried to install the required features, under "Remote server administration tools", I found that the only tools I can install for the "Active directory certificates services role" are the "Certification Authority Tools"; the "Online Responder tools" are not available, as in the Enterprise edition. I there a way to install this administration tools on a win 2008 R2 standard edition? Thank you
June 8th, 2012 11:26am

Hi, To administer a remote Online Responder ============================== 1. On the remote computer, open Server Manager. 2. Under Features Summary, click Add Features. 3. Expand Remote Server Administration Tools and Role Administration Tools. 4. Select the Active Directory Certificate Services check box, click Next, and then click Install. 5. When the installation process is finished, click Close. 6. Click Start, type mmc, and press ENTER. 7. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in. 8. Click the Online Responder snap-in, click Add, and then click OK. 9. In the console tree, click the Online Responder. 10. On the Action menu, click Retarget Responder to identify the Online Responder that you want to manage. For details: Administer an Online Responder from Another Computer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730884.aspx Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2012 4:41am

Hello, sorry but this procedure does not apply to Windows server 2008 R2 standard edition, since "the "Online Responder tools" are not available, as in the Enterprise edition." as I wrote in my original post; so, there is no on line responder MMC snap in to load.
June 11th, 2012 5:07am

HI, According to following article, it seems OSCP is not supported on Windows server 2008 R2 standard edition. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755071.aspx Anyway, i'd like to know if you can see "Online responsder tools" when add new feature on Windows server 2008 R2 standard edition. Best regards, Jason Mei Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 29th, 2012 5:04am

Hello Jason, the short answer is "no", the Online responder administration tools are not available for installation on the standard edition. OCSP is a functionality not supported on standard edition, and this is correcly documented: my CAs are based on enterprise edition because we wanted the new features available. But I would like to remotely manage the CAs and the OCSP responders from standard edition servers used for administration. Unfortunately, the OCSP admin tools (an MMC snap-in) are not available for installation. This looks quite strange; I found that the OCSP can be remotely managed from the admin pack for Vista and for Win7. So, why not for 2008 standard edition? And, is there a way to force manually the installation of this snap-in? Regards
June 29th, 2012 5:16am

Hi, I'd like to know if you have any concerns about the information I provided. If so, please let me know. Best regards, Jason Mei Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 10th, 2012 5:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics