How to know to DC is the computer connected to??
How to know to DC is the computer connected to??
August 19th, 2009 12:22am

A three line VBS script will do this. Save the following as a vbs file (using notepad) and double-click it to run (or use cscript scriptname.vbs from a command line).Set objDomain = GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE")strDC = objDomain.Get("dnsHostName")Wscript.Echo "Authenticating domain controller: " & strDCwww.operatingquadrant.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2009 12:46am

At the computer type at the CMD promptSET LogonServer orSet (by itself to get a complete list of user, computer, etc settings)
August 19th, 2009 12:58am

Hi, You can run "echo %logonserver%" in a command line to view the current connected DC. Wilson Jia - MSFT
August 19th, 2009 6:06am

Hi ITianGreat, before joining the PC, get these handy.From DC1. DNS IP Address 2. Domain Name (ex: sitename.org) 3. DC name (assuming it is dcname) 4. Username and password for a Domain Admin On PC:1. Check wether the PC has the proper IP address 2. Make sure of DNS IP3. See if Gateway is required 4. Start -> Run -> Cmd -> Ping IP Address of DC [Working?] 5. Also ping dcname.sitename.org {Working?]Joining Steps:Right Click on My Computer --> Properties --> Computer Name -> Change -> Click on Domain Name and give you Domain Name (sitename.org) Click OK, when prompted for Usernam & Password, give them Ok OK, Reboot You are done on DC, you can open start -> run -> dsa.msc and under the Computers OU, you can see the Machine AccountHere are couple of links to do the same....http://www.petri.co.il/joining_a_domain_in_windows_xp_pro.htm http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpjoind.html Thanks...Deva
August 19th, 2009 6:57am

Thankyou all very much really appreciate for your solution's to the problem but i have one more doubt similar...here it goesSuppose ai have loggedintoSystemABC (Can be a DC or Member server) .How will i come to know whether theSystem in which i have logged in is a DC or a Member server.Anysolution forthese
August 20th, 2009 2:49am

DC have an Active Directory Users and Computers console in Administrative Tools, Member Servers don't. If you use the "Rename this computer or join a domain" button a DC will give a error msg, Member server will allow it.In Active Directory User/Computer all DCs should be under the Domain Controller OU.You can also get Win2003 Server tools from MS and use the NETDOM QUERY to query the domain for the info. NETDOM QUERY FSMO NETDOM QUERY DC Lists all DCs in domain NETDOM QUERY PDC Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
August 26th, 2009 7:47am

Thanks to all for your help.
September 2nd, 2009 1:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics