How to install SQL in an existing Azure VM?

Hi,

I have deployed an Azure VM, with a base operating system. Now I wish to install SQL Server on it, but cant find any proper how-to guide. This link to "SQL Server Deployment in Azure Virtual Machines" no longer works: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn133141.aspx (it is a link from this root page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/azure/jj823132.aspx)

Most of the other URLs point at installing a SQL VM from scratch, not about adding SQL to an existing Azure VM. Is this true?

Thanks,

SK

March 24th, 2015 4:17am

Hi Shim,

As I understand from your query, you are looking forward to add the SQL server to the existing azure VM.

If you have a sql server license, you can just upload or download the ISO to the virtual machine and then run it. if you do not have a license or want to try sql server as a trial, you can download a 180 day trial from here and unfortunately I see only these two options at the moment

Also, it is recommended that you just recreate a new vm in the same vnet as the other vm you created and move data using the local vnet IP.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2015 5:13am

Hi Shim,

As I understand from your query, you are looking forward to add the SQL server to the existing azure VM.

If you have a sql server license, you can just upload or download the ISO to the virtual machine and then run it. if you do not have a license or want to try sql server as a trial, you can download a 180 day trial from here and unfortunately I see only these two options at the moment

Also, it is recommended that you just recreate a new vm in the same vnet as the other vm you created and move data using the local vnet IP.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

March 24th, 2015 9:11am

Thank you.

So what is this guide all about then, as it seems to point to being able to deploy a SQL server from the Azure gallery?

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-provision-sql-server/

March 24th, 2015 4:30pm

Hi Shim,

Yes, the guide is all about  creating a SQL Server virtual machine in Azure. eg:- SQL server 2014 RTM enterprise. This image contains the full version of SQL server . The platform provided SQL Server virtual machine image.

With SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines, you can still use the same development and administration tools that are available on-premises. In addition, you can provision or deprovision virtual machines to achieve elasticity on demand and connect them to your on-premises infrastructure by using Azure Virtual Network.

Resources :

Understanding Azure SQL Database and SQL Server in Azure VMs        
Provisioning a SQL Server Virtual Machine on Azure        

Getting Started with SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines

If you would like to know more details on the SQL server Gallary images,you may select the image and read the descriptive beside the image in the Azure management portal

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

March 25th, 2015 5:07am

Hi Shim,

Yes, the guide is all about  creating a SQL Server virtual machine in Azure. eg:- SQL server 2014 RTM enterprise. This image contains the full version of SQL server . The platform provided SQL Server virtual machine image.

With SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines, you can still use the same development and administration tools that are available on-premises. In addition, you can provision or deprovision virtual machines to achieve elasticity on demand and connect them to your on-premises infrastructure by using Azure Virtual Network.

Resources :

Understanding Azure SQL Database and SQL Server in Azure VMs        
Provisioning a SQL Server Virtual Machine on Azure        

Getting Started with SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines

If you would like to know more details on the SQL server Gallary images,you may select the image and read the descriptive beside the image in the Azure management portal

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

March 25th, 2015 9:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics