How to go back to Win 8.1 after installing Hyper-V server 2012 r2
Hi. I installed Hyper-v server 2012 R2 on a Toshiba running windows 8.1 64bit and now I can not go back to windows 8.1. Every time i start the computer it asks for my password and opens system32/cmd.exe and sconfig.cmd consoles
December 29th, 2014 7:50pm

Hi. I installed Hyper-v server 2012 R2 on a Toshiba running windows 8.1 64bit and now I can not go back to windows 8.1. The problem is i don't have a installation disk or a recovery disk. How can i go back to Window 8.1 ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2014 8:19pm

Did the Toshiba come with Windows 8.1 preinstalled? If yes it possibly has the recovery partition in place that you would use for recovery. I'm assuming if it was an accident then you did the in-place upgrade procedure.

Look at your Toshiba documentation for the procedure to restore.

If you want to add Hyper-V to windows 8.1 in the future, you use programs and features. Then turn the feature on.

December 29th, 2014 8:26pm

I know of a few procedures for recovery of Toshiba laptops while booting hit "esc" select recovery, while booting hit F11 to recover may not be Toshiba, then older laptops Hold 0 (zero) while turning on.

One of these may work if you have a recovery partition and it has not been damaged.

December 29th, 2014 8:36pm

F11, hold 0 (zero) while booting, or esc while booting and select recover 
December 29th, 2014 8:36pm

You can't just go back.  When you installed Hyper-V server, you installed a whole new OS, most likely overwriting your Windows 8.1 installation.

As per the other post, you'll need to use the restore or recovery method for your computer and reinstall Windows 8.1

December 29th, 2014 11:34pm

I just want to say f*ck you Microsoft.  You f*cking shit faced idiots.  Drop a goddamn warning before erasing an entire operating system. A trial shouldn't do this.  F*ck you Dave Patrick and F*ck you Elton Ji you f*cking inconsiderate f*ck faces.  Buying a mac tomorrow and installing ubuntu on every other damn machine.  F*ck you!
July 23rd, 2015 10:47pm

BTW - Hyper-V Server uses the same installer as all other MSFT operating systems, and provides warnings about erasing the disk.

As does Ubuntu and the Linux distros - the installation experience of an OS has little difference in warnings across the OS vendors.

July 24th, 2015 1:44pm

The warning isn't clear enough.  It should state that the current installation will no longer exist.  The install process states that some files will be put into windows.old.  That is not sufficient.  Furthermore, hyper-v can be installed as a role or an add-on which is what I thought this software was doing.  At least add a recommendation that the the trial should be installed on a machine for testing purposes or force the user to create a boot disk to install.  All of those pre-reqs signify to the user that what is about to be installed cannot be undone.  Instead of defending your crap software, why don't you try incorporating the feedback.  This post and the thread above shouldn't exist.  Learn, Apply and repeat.  

Do you even dual boot?

July 24th, 2015 2:52pm

I dont work for MSFT. But I do constantly install and use their stuff. As well as a number of Linux distros.

windows does not do a side by side install like some Linux offer. They never have.

Hyper-V os available as a role, an in-box on demand installed thing on Windows 8 and later. It is not equivalent to VMware workstation mor virtualbox.

July 24th, 2015 2:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics