How to give privileges for staffs to install software but not giving them more privileges.
Hi, We are having 15-20 staffs who are programmers and designers, more often they are required to install and add some little packages/installations for their computers, my question is if i could implement active directory environment in my office how should i make them have their rights of installing their little programs without giving them administrator privileges or the previlege so that they would not mess up and devastate my network. Is there any way to do this?Thanks and Regards Mohamed
May 18th, 2012 2:30am

Installing software is Administrative privilege which should be held by administrative personnel only. Please let them use Virtual Machines for software testing purposes and call for administrator to install approved pieces on the real computers. Having two separate accounts (standard user and local admin) for some particular trusted developer only may help you as well.MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA; CCSI
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2012 1:33am

Hi, Changes in the way Windows Vista (and more so with Windows 7) were designed compared to earlier versions have led many organizations to stop letting their users be local administrators. It just isn't necessary for your users to be administrators, and having all your users as local administrators of their machines increases the risk of malware and instability on the machine. One frequent request is to allow non-administrators to install software on their machines. However, in many ways this goes against having users with limited privileges, because installing software is one of the key reasons computers become unstable and subjected to malware. The best way to let users install corporate software is to use Group Policy, System Center Configuration Manager, or Microsoft Application Virtualization, which can deploy software as a trusted install. Another option is to use UAC for an administrator to provide over-the-shoulder elevation to install the software. You can configure the system to always install with elevated permissions using the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\AlwaysInstallElevated registry value (it can also be set under HKEY_CURRENT_USER), but this isn't recommended because you incur extra risks if application installs run as system, with the access to system areas that permission brings. Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
May 21st, 2012 4:17am

Hello, Well thanks for the reply, they say something about restricted groups. Could anyone explain me what is that group used for please..Thanks and Regards Mohamed
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2012 11:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics