How to get rid of left over domain on network ??
We are on a AD 2003 domain. I added a vertual machine and for testing purposes created a new domain. Its not part of the domain forest or anything. I just wanted to install windows 2003 set up AD /DNS and play around. I have now turned off the vitual machine and dont intend to use it any more. However when I browse the networks I still see the testing domain. How can I get rid of this this so it goes away forever. Thanks.
September 8th, 2010 4:01pm

It should purge itself out of the computer browsing list on its own. Here is some information you can refer to: Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001/en-us "Removing computers from the browse list may take more time. To allow for lost datagram frames, the master browser does not remove a server from its list until 3 announcement periods have passed."Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2010 5:35pm

Hello bring the VM back online and properly demote the server and clean your dnsIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
September 8th, 2010 5:47pm

Well according to the article it should take roughly an hour or so to clear things out. But it has been over 12 hours. Since I turned off the Virtual Machine. I wonder if Isaac Obens solution of demoting server is the only option. I guess since its a differnt domain it should not have any effect on the real domain? I have never demoted a domain accept in class, always seems like scary thing to me. Any additional comments ??
September 8th, 2010 6:01pm

Hello Demoting your domain controller will not be an issue since you said it is a test domain that you no longer using. As long as it is not in the same forest with your existing production one, it shouldn't be an issueIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
September 8th, 2010 6:33pm

I have demoted the machine. But the old domain still is listed. The demotion seemed to work. When the VM is on I can now see it as a computer in the workstation "domain". But the old domain remains as well. I typed ipconfig /dnsflush on the real domain machine and dnscmd /clearcache But still the old domain stays. Anyone got any thoughts? Thanks.
September 8th, 2010 9:17pm

The demotion is not going to accelerate the removal in the computer browse list. Unfortunately, the browse list and associated processes are quite quirky, in my opinion. It should eventually drop off the list. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 8th, 2010 9:25pm

mmm well maybe quirky is the right word. I will patiently wait and see what happens. Thanks.
September 8th, 2010 9:31pm

I was being nice about quirky. The larger the enterprise the worse it gets.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 8th, 2010 11:27pm

Also if you have WINS server(s), the domain might still show up in the browse list until you delete it from WINS. Bill
September 9th, 2010 4:50am

How would you delete it from the wins? It is the next day it it is still there. Over time it may delete, but it it would be interesting to see if I could motivate it a bit. Thanks.
September 9th, 2010 4:35pm

Ok I figured it out. I went into the win server on the server and deleted the offending netbios name. Then went to lunch. Came back Gone (I think the going to lunch was important to the whole process). So I think the answer to this problem, at least to hasten the process to remove the problematic domain is to first ether demote the server using dcpromo, or never turn that computer back on so it doesn't repopulate, and re appear, and then to delete it from the wins server. It is possible that waiting it will eventually tombstone and go away, but Im not sure how long that takes. I prefer the more pro active method. thanks.
September 9th, 2010 8:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics