How to find number of CPU and Cores/CPU in windows 2008 r2
Hi, I need to forward the information of number of CPU's and Core/CPU's to my manager for licensing purpose. On my windows 2008 server I can see 2 physical processor using systeminfo command, and under the processors tab in Device Manager I see 4 processor. So what will be the number of CPU's (2 or 4). I am really confused because on some forum say CPU and Processor are not same then number of CPU will be 4, if so then what the use of Core/CPU's information. ThanksAdi
August 29th, 2012 9:15pm

Some server products are available to be licensed on a per core, "per processor" or "per instance" basis. Per Core Licensing Under the Per Core model, when the server software is running in the physical OSE, you must license all physical cores on the server. To determine the number of core licenses you need, count the total number of physical cores for each processor on the server, and then multiply that number by the appropriate core factor. You do not need to purchase additional CALs. Software licensed by core Per Processor Licensing Under the Per Processor model, you acquire a Processor License for each processor in the server on which the software is running. A Processor License includes access for an unlimited number of users to connect from either inside the local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN), or outside the firewall (via the Internet). You do not need to purchase additional server licenses, CALs, or Internet Connector Licenses. Note: Windows Server licensed under the Per Processor model requires CALs. Software licensed by processor Specialty Server Licensing Specialty Server licensing is a commonly used model. Specialty Servers are server-only licenses that also do not require CALs. Specialty Servers require a server license for each instance of the server software running on a server. An example of this is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server for Internet Sites. You can run the instance in a physical or virtual operating system environment. By exception, some products provide more specific use rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2012 9:59pm

Hello, ---On my windows 2008 server I can see 2 physical processor using systeminfo command, and under the processors tab in Device Manager I see 4 processor. You may say this server has 2 physical CPUs with 4 processors/cores Thanks Zhang
August 29th, 2012 10:43pm

Hello, ---On my windows 2008 server I can see 2 physical processor using systeminfo command, and under the processors tab in Device Manager I see 4 processor. You may say this server has 2 physical CPUs with 4 processors/cores Thanks Zhang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2012 10:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics