How to find WSUS server in unknown environment?

I've got what I consider to be an odd task facing me.  In an server environment where I have no knowledge of the infrastructure, I need to find out where the WSUS server is, and how it's configured.  I can't ask questions of those who are in charge of the environment and I need to identify the WSUS environment ASAP.  I've tried running GPresult and I'm getting access denied for most of the GPResult data even though I'm a domain admin in the environment.

I need to find where the console is installed and whether I have access to it. 

March 7th, 2011 3:26pm

I've got what I consider to be an odd task facing me.  In an server environment where I have no knowledge of the infrastructure, I need to find out where the WSUS server is, and how it's configured.  I can't ask questions of those who are in charge of the environment and I need to identify the WSUS environment ASAP.  I've tried running GPresult and I'm getting access denied for most of the GPResult data even though I'm a domain admin in the environment.

I can see at least a half dozen reasons in this statement along why we should not answer this question.

Maybe you can give us one useful statement demonstrating why we should believe that you should have access to this WSUS Server!?

In my book.. if you don't know where the server or console is installed, then you don't have access, and quite frankly, you've aptly demonstrated such a gross lack of knowledge about the product that I would say you should not have access!

I also note you don't even have admin access to your own PC, such that you can get useful information from a GPRESULT command.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2011 5:30pm

Who let you out into the public and what gives you the right to address someone like that? I think you aptly demonstrated a gross lack of manners and professionalism that I would say you should not moderate any more forums.

You don't decide who has their question answered and who does not. Putting on my amateur psych hat, I'd say that yours is displaced aaggressionwhich originated from spending the majority of your high school career stuffed inside your locker.

December 14th, 2011 8:38pm

I can see at least a half dozen reasons in this statement along why we should not answer this question.

Maybe you can give us one useful statement demonstrating why we should believe that you should have access to this WSUS Server!?

In my book.. if you don't know where the server or console is installed, then you don't have access, and quite frankly, you've aptly demonstrated such a gross lack of knowledge about the product that I would say you should not have access!

I also note you don't even have admin access to your own PC, such that you can get useful information from a GPRESULT co

April 4th, 2012 8:26am

However odd might be the question, you (Lawrence Garvin) are far to having the answers.

I am systems adminsitrator at a government site in Argentina. Here that means I'm net-admin, tech-guy, help-desk, and I also program the microwave ovens, because if it has buttons, somebody thinks it's my turf.

Until two years ago there were another two guys working with/under me. Before that, there were four. Work was collaborative, which means there was a lot of rotation. Not only because we all wear all hats, but because low wages makes people come and go somewhat fast.

So, at some point, years ago, somebody tinkered with WSUS and now I find Windows 7, 2003 and 2008 are unable to update. As I stated above, I am alone now. Documentation is non-existent, I have no idea who the tinkerer was and even if I did, I don't think he would remember what he did.

Why XP is not affected? No idea. I only know I took a look at windowsupdate.log and found a reference to a WSUS server at an IP in my network, but there's nothing there. I also know I don't know crap about WSUS and I'm just fumbling around trying to learn, and I would probably ask questions like that, if I was prone to asking questions, which I'm not.

So, there you have it: I'm the ultimate power in this network and I'm totally lost. Sooo, I think you should climb down from your horse and mingle a little with the peasants. Of course you probably don't mind, but you come across as full of sht, no matter how many points you have.

Lawson Gold, thanks a lot.

June 27th, 2012 8:12pm

You should be able to identify a lot from the windowsupdate.log files on a few servers/clients, the WUagent will log what it's configured for and what work it's doing.
assuming the WSUS is a domain member, with your DA privileges you can then jump onto that box.
Or, install a WSUS console on another box and remotely admin the WSUS.
June 27th, 2012 9:40pm

I realize this is a late post and already has been answered, but Larry was out of hand.  I guess he has never stepped into a shop where everyone left with the last IT Director and took their knowledge with them.

Instead of blasting Mike, Larry could have provided the following instructions, which would force Mike to have DA rights.  BTW: Larry who the hell cares if someone can locate a WSUS server, anyone who could get into the server without a proper Login could find one. 

So Maintech Mike: To locate where your computers are getting updates from:

1. Login to a Domian Controller --> run Gpedit.msc

2.  Navigate to: Computer Configuration Administrative Templates Windows Components Windows Update Click on Specify intranet Microsoft Update Service Location

3. Here you will find where the clients are receiving their updates from (WSUS Server), well if everything else is turned on correctly

April 9th, 2013 6:25pm

The wsus server URL will be in the windows update log c:\windows\windowsupdate.log

it is also listed in the regstry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\ in the key WUServer, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328010#method3

The access denied message from gpresult may be becuase UAC is turned on. If you right click on the cmd shortcut and run as administrator (and you have some admin priviledges on that PC) gpresult should give more info.

once you have the name you can try to RDP to the WSUS server.

• Proposed as answer by Deezul_AwT Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:25 PM
April 9th, 2013 11:34pm

After working in IT for 17 years I've never heard such a c*ck  S*cking, crappy response thing to say.  Larry needs to stick a power supply up his ass and go play in the rain.

April 12th, 2013 7:22pm

I appreciate all of the constructive feedback in this thread on my response, and I certainly understand why you found it inappropriate.

However, I read this sentence in the original post:

I can't ask questions of those who are in charge of the environment

And to me that sends up a Big Red Flag. If a person cannot ask questions of those who are in charge of the environment then two conclusions seem self evident:

• The original poster is not in charge of the environment.
  • There is some concerning reason why those who are in charge cannot be asked.

I have no idea what those reasons are, and maybe the original request was 100% legitimate. Unfortunately, the original poster never responded back to the thread, so I'll take that as a third clue. I stand by my original response. I will not provide technical information on how to work around a production security management system to somebody who has admitted to not having access, and is unable to ask those who should be asked how to get access.

Maybe recent developments in the security world and the impacts of social engineering will allow a few to have a slightly more tolerant perspective of my response from two year

May 29th, 2013 5:49pm

Just an FYI, I was fishing around for the same answer and this is the first post I came to. I do have all the access I need, however, I can't ask my director because he told me to go find it for myself. So maybe he was in that position.

July 12th, 2013 12:40am

Just an FYI, I was fishing around for the same answer and this is the first post I came to. I do have all the access I need, however, I can't ask my director because he told me to go find it for myself. So maybe he was in that position.

Okay.. so, assuming you have unlimited access to all network and server resources on the network... (which was apparently not the case with the original poster, and the reason I exercised restraint in my original response - not that anything provided in this thread isn't already available in published documentation and this forum, if combined with a minimal level of research effort)...

And assuming you have knowledge of at least one WSUS client, and access to that client (your own personal system, perhaps?)...

Then it's trivial to determine this:

• Run a RSOP on the machine and observe the policy configuration.
  • Inspect the Registry settings (documented in the Deployment Guide).
  • Review the WindowsUpdate.log (which logs this information at service startup).

Presumably with a machine name, the rest should be easy.

July 12th, 2013 4:08pm

I want to say thank you for posting this question, I just went through a similar situation, The form IT Director left in hurry and I had the same problem. It was tucked away on a Tax Server of all places , I know this is a 3 year old post but thanks again, This saved me poking around a dozen different servers.  
August 20th, 2013 3:28pm

I also note you don't even have admin access to your own PC, such that you can get useful information from a GPRESULT co

January 27th, 2014 11:16pm

First, I would like to thank Lawson for assisting myself and the others who may have found the useful answers to this post helpful.  Much appreciated.

Second, I would like to point out to Lawrence Gavin that Lawson had a few exemplary examples of potential reasons Maintech Mike may have originally posted in this forum.  This leads me to believe a few things about Mr. Gavin (to steal his "bullet points" method which makes himself look even more pathetic):

• He obviously didn't attend an organization of higher education because your comprehension is less than to be desired (hence why you failed to understand Lawson's perfectly good explanations as to why this original post may have been submitted)
  • Lawrence has daddy issues and feels the need to belittle others in the search for making himself look better
  • Continues to realize how much of a jrk off he is by constantly attempting to support his worthlessness as a technet contributor within the confines of this post

Hey Lawrence... ever think Mike may not have replied to your unnecessarily rude post because he figured you are a complete waste of his time?

Please do this world a favor, find a closet to lock yourself in and don't bother surfacing again.  We, and especially those looking for help in this forum, would all be better off without selfish, petty and indescribably ignorant individuals such as yourself.

• Edited by sneekypete Monday, April 28, 2014 5:58 PM
April 28th, 2014 3:16pm

Unnecessary ignorant presumptions. These naive tactics give management a bad name. 
October 22nd, 2014 9:11am

I have never had to post anything related to my WSUS issues because every solution can usually be found in these forums. However, with that said some of the posts by Lawrence Garvin do come off the wrong way to many people, even me who never posts. When I read some of the comments he makes I kind of just shake my head with disgust. There are many stupid questions, but you do not have to answer in such a a**holeish way.

- Barry Larks (IT Director/Manager) - Northern Tech Co.

October 22nd, 2014 6:41pm

Wow, in MY book - they should deny YOU access to this site for such rude reply... If you have nothing useful to add to the discussion, why be an ass?  
June 2nd, 2015 7:19pm

"Unproposed as answer" what a joke.
June 7th, 2015 11:32pm

wow, what an A this guy is
July 28th, 2015 1:09pm

With all being said the below might help to locate a WSUS server

Open a command window.

1. Type:
    reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

You should see output like the following if the client has been configured to get its updates from a WSUS server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

WUServer    REG_SZ  http://WSUSServerName

WUStatusServer      REG_SZ  http://WSUSServerName

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

According to Microsoft:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc708627(v=WS.10).aspx

August 21st, 2015 2:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics