How to expose 'file and printer sharing' to a list of public IP addresses ?
Hi, I would like to enable a list of public IP adreses to connect and use 'file and printer services' on some of my servers. Servers offering the service are on Windows2008 and Windows hyper-v (core) installations. Most obvious way would be to use a VPN but i can't implement that solution, so i am looking for either a firewall rule, registry hack or something similar to it. Servers that i would like to offer sharing services to each other are all in same IP range / subnet , but exposed to internet. Thank you for your help.//Tomislav
June 15th, 2012 8:25am

Hi Tomislav, You can use firewall for this, where you will need to create a rule specifying the traffic from the selected public IP to be allowed to your internal network along with the portsThanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 15th, 2012 9:20am

Hi, and thanks for the reply Mukesh, As far as i can dig the info out, the solution you offered would work on 'full' installations of Windows 2008 server, but for core edition (specialy the hyper-v one) solutions are limited to enabling the ruleset for all IP's ,and all NIC's by runing a 'netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=File and Printer Sharing new enable=yes" command , which does not allow specifying a IP set that it allows. Please correct me if my info is incomplete.//Tomislav
June 15th, 2012 9:27am

Hi Tomislav, I was suggesting to use an external firewall, since you will be exposing the traffic to public IP.Thanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 15th, 2012 9:41am

Thank You for elaboration. Unfortunatly, i can't add a external appliance (proxy/firewall/gateway) in front of servers, each of them should have a solution implemented on itself. Also, allow me to repost the parameters/requirements for solution: - no 'internal network' , just public IP's on each server that requires a solution - mixed 'full' and 'core' installations needing solution - 'on server' solution (via registry, embeded firewall or something similar) //Tomislav
June 15th, 2012 9:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics