How to export to .reg file for system updates on Server 2008
In Windows Server 2003, you can review the installed system updates by simply exporting the following registry path below to a .reg file and look at it's contents by dropping it into notepad. It will provide you a complete list of the corresponding update's Knowledge Base Article Number (KB#). HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update How is this done in Server 2008? When I attempt to export the same path to a .reg file and review it in notepad, it looks completely different. It doesn't indicate the installed KB# nor does it provide a comprehensive list of installed udpates. I'm sure that there has to be away to do this in Server 2008. If not, is there a way of reporting the installed updates other than through the server's local View-update-history tool? Although the View-update-history tool does provide me with a comprehensive view of all updates installed, it doesn't provide me with a means of exporting the view to a report. I need to be able to have something I can work with - and taking a screen shot isn't going to cut it. Thanks
September 3rd, 2010 10:37pm

Hi, Ultimately, we can get this information from WMI using the Win32_QuickFixEngineering class documented here, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394391%28VS.85%29.aspx The quick and dirty way: From a command prompt, wmic qfe list or wmic qfe list full The more detailed way: You can get individual properties using this sort of wmic command (and using the desired properties above from the documentation for the Win32_QuickFixEngineering class) wmic path Win32_QuickFixEngineering get HotFixID, Caption, Description You can also generate a script or application to work with this WMI class with the WMI Code Creator -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2010 2:10am

Hi, I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 7th, 2010 11:22am

Miles, This worked like a charm! Mike, Thank you so much! -Derek
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2010 5:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics