How to export all virtual swtches?

Hello,

We are migrating from Hyper-V on Windows 2008 R2 to Server 2012 and I have to recreate all virtual switches, but they are so many it will be excruciating to add them to the new server manually, one by one. Is there a way to export the configuration of all virtual switches? Thanks in advance!

September 4th, 2013 10:44am

This is not possible.

Only Machines can be exported.  Switches, and other virtual devices are too tightly bound to hardware to be exported.

Besides, all that matters is that your new server has switches with the same name.

And, You must have a very interesting and complex configuration if you are concerned about exporting your switches.

This is where SCVMM comes in and based on rules actually builds your virtual switches for you.

September 4th, 2013 12:10pm

To be honest I`m pretty sure that Kristiyan was talking about VMs, not all the hypervisor setings and configuration. 

Nevertheless, Brian, you got your point.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2013 12:27pm

I try not to guess at the true question if it is not obvious.

Folks that come from a hypervisor other than Hyper-V are used to managing a large number of virtual switches due to Linux bridging models, that don't exist in Hyper-V.

And some test environments run large numbers of Private Virtual Switches across many hosts.

So, IMHO, the question as written is legitimate.  And I wanted to respond as such.

In time we will discover any misunderstanding.

September 4th, 2013 1:00pm

Hi,

I agree with Brians point, Base on my research, a lot of  the vSwitch parameter store in the register and as far as in know that not support export them.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2013 3:59am

I apologize that my question was not clear. I was asking about the virtual switch configuration on the hypervisor, not the VMs. I just wanted to know if there is an easy way of populating all previous virtual switches into the Virtual Switch Manager of the new machine as we have at least 30 private networks for test environments.

September 5th, 2013 4:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics