How to exclude folders from System State backup?

Hi,

I am trying to configure server backup in 2008 R2 server. I need to exclude certain folder from System State backup. In the backup wizard, under select items for backup, I am selecting System State backup and in Advanced settings\add exclusions I am excluding a folder in C drive. This gets added there and I am able to schedule it. But when I edit the schedule again, this exclusion is disappeared. Please help me on this. We need to exclude this folder as this is related to some security software.

Is there any other way to exclude this folder?

Thanks,
Sarat U

August 24th, 2015 12:05pm

Hi Sarat,

I cannot reproduce the issue. In my settings when I try to edit a schedule I just created, the excluded folder is still listed there.

Have you add anything to the backup schedule such as adding Bare Metal Recovery in "select item to back" step? BMR will not allow us to exclude folders on critical volumes. 

And you can run a "wbadmin enable backup" to see if the excluded folder is listed in result. If still not, use command line to create the schedule instead of using GUI to see the result. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 8:07am

Hi Shaon, thanks for the reply. in my backup schedule, I am selecting system state backup and excluding a folder/file and this disappears once the schedule is created. wbadmin enable backup does not list the exclusions. Please suggest if any other way to exclude.

==========================================

C:\Users\Administrator>wbadmin enable backup
wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

The scheduled backup settings:

Bare metal recovery : Not Included
System state backup: Included
Volumes in backup: System Reserved (349.99 MB) (Selected Files),Local Disk(C:) (
Selected Files)
Files excluded: None
Advanced settings: VSS Backup Option (COPY)
Location to store backup: MSFT Virtual HD SCSI Disk Device
Times of day to run backup: 10:00

============================================

September 1st, 2015 12:18am

What is the folder you are excluding, a custom folder or a folder the OS needs to do a system state restore.

Bare metal backup is everything, all volumes all files

system state is just that and should not include extra folder unless you select "Bare Metal" backup too.

I think I ran into a similar issue, I ended up running a system state only backup. and a full bare metal backup, one of the two using wbadmin to run.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 12:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics