How to enable users to access windows 2012 through remote desktop client on windows XP SP3

Hi I have just installed Windows Server 2012 and trying to give access to the users. The users are on windows XP Pro SP3 remote desktop client (Shell and control version 6.1.7600 with Remote Desktop Protocol 7.0 support). 

I have enabled the windows server 2012 remote desktop users through "control panel -> systems and security ->  Remote access" for the users. When I try to connect to the windows server as administrator, it is getting connected. But when I try to connect as other users I get the following message.

"To sign in remotely, you need the right to sign in through Remote Desktop Services. By default members of the Administrators group have this right. If the group you're in does not have the right, or  if the right has been removed from the Administrators group, you need to be granted the right manually."

Is there any other setting to be done to eanble the Remote Desktop for the users.

February 28th, 2013 2:36pm

Hi I have just installed Windows Server 2012 and trying to give access to the users. The users are on windows XP Pro SP3 remote desktop client (Shell and control version 6.1.7600 with Remote Desktop Protocol 7.0 support). 

I have enabled the windows server 2012 remote desktop users through "control panel -> systems and security ->  Remote access" for the users. When I try to connect to the windows server as administrator, it is getting connected. But when I try to connect as other users I get the following message.

"To sign in remotely, you need the right to sign in through Remote Desktop Services. By default members of the Administrators group have this right. If the group you're in does not have the right, or  if the right has been removed from the Administrators group, you need to be granted the right manually."

Is there any other setting to be done to eanble the Remote Desktop for the users.

Have you tried adding those users to the "Remote Desktop Users" group? It's in Active Directory Users and Computers and it's a Built-In group. Might want to give that a try ...

- JJ

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 28th, 2013 5:34pm

Have you tried adding those users to the "Remote Desktop Users" group? It's in Active Directory Users and Computers and it's a Built-In group. Might want to give that a try ...

- JJ

February 28th, 2013 5:34pm

For more information please see:

Configure Permissions for Remote Desktop Services Connections

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753032.aspx

March 6th, 2013 6:13am

I had the same issue. I tried all the ideas I found on the web, including adding users to the remote desktop group. I found that the server manages the users that remote in, and when you try to add the users in the local machine, the users can't be found. In the location section you can't choose the server as the location when attempting to add users. So what I did on the computer I wanted to remote into (mine is windows 7 pro) was go to control panel, user accounts, clicked on User Accounts again, manage user accounts, add. Then I entered the Username and Domain into the boxes. I set the user up as Admin on that computer. Now remote access works for users that are not administrators on the server. I checked and the users set as admin on the local machine can't access the dashboard/server. I didn't try setting the users up on the local machine as standard users. I may try that later.
January 23rd, 2014 12:45am

I had the same problem. I installed the role Remote Desktop Service and it began to work with the people in the Remote Desktop policy. My only doubt is if a need to maintain the RD Licensing service and if it has a cost.
  • Proposed as answer by àm Thìn Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:49 AM
May 25th, 2014 3:36pm

I had the same problem. I installed the role Remote Desktop Service and it began to work with the people in the Remote Desktop policy. My only doubt is if a need to maintain the RD Licensing service and if it has a cost.
  • Proposed as answer by àm Thìn Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:49 AM
May 25th, 2014 3:36pm

On the remote machine, go to the Local Group Policy Editor and add the necessary user/group to:

Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignment/Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services.

July 13th, 2014 5:00pm

I am the Enterprise admin. Have been able to login remotely no problemo until Sillysoft decided to update and break it again. Have been logging in with no bigger problems from Win 7 and Win 8 pro PCs until the recent update. Sorry MS cannot handle it anymore. I am going Linux. How much time am I expected to waste per week because of MS creat
September 3rd, 2014 12:47pm

The group I expected to be here was Remote Desktop Users.  Adding that worked!
  • Proposed as answer by jobianzca 4 hours 33 minutes ago
September 10th, 2014 7:36pm

The group I expected to be here was Remote Desktop Users.  Adding that worked!
  • Proposed as answer by jobianzca Friday, March 20, 2015 2:28 AM
September 10th, 2014 7:36pm

you just try to open RDP as Administrator and try to connect, this will work out.
September 11th, 2014 8:28am

Nice...Thank you Dan!
December 17th, 2014 3:12pm

Yup, this does the trick. If you're using Group Policy Objects to set this, don't forget to restart the target server or to run the following as an admin: gpupdate /force

Had me guessing for a minute!

February 23rd, 2015 3:35am

This works!!! Thanks a lot.
March 17th, 2015 4:07pm

hi keith,

thank you for your help, yes adding the user to remote desktop users on the server helped.

the user was a domain user ( no local admin or domain admin etc )

thx for help

cheers

raj

March 19th, 2015 10:33pm

Hi All,

I Have a lab setup in hyper-v to demo RDS. 1 DC, 1 RDS and 1 8.1 client are running in my lab. I did initially have the issue above however the advice resolved this problem. I did however encounter a new issue.

When i shut down the VMs and restarted the next day, I found that I got this error upon signing in, even as an administrator on my server machines. Quite frustrating but by accident, on the login prompt i pressed the back button twice then the window closed, opened again with the message 'connecting to Windows...' and the lock screen was presented this time. i clicked and then entered the admin password and it works!! this is exactly the same for the other server VM and also the client machine where i use a normal domain user account.

I'm not sure if this is unique to hyper-v because i cant find anything else on this issue on the net. I've already applied the GP to allow users to connect through RDS. any ideas?

regards,

infoAdmin

July 31st, 2015 8:40am

THX, muchas gracias.
August 1st, 2015 3:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics