How to discover what is using up offline files space?

In setting up a new Windows 10 PC for an existing user, I see that 256GB of allocated offline files storage is filled up.  How can I find out what is using it? The new system has a local Admin account, a network admin account, and one network user account.

So far, only one small network folder has been selected for 'Always available offline'.  In choosing 'Manage offline files', there are dozens, (hundreds?) of folders in a typical profile.  There must be some way of seeing how much space each branch is using as simply as if I were choosing properties in File Explorer. 

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

September 2nd, 2015 5:43pm

Hi,

Above all, this forum is specifically for Windows Server File Services and Storage related topics. For Windows 10 questions you should post to Windows 10 forum instead:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

For your current situtation, please check if you can find folder location in Sync Center. Or if you just would like to clear cached files, you can disable/enable Offline Files feature to clear cached files.

Disk Cleanup will also help clear cached files. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 11:34pm

Shaon, the issue isn't with Windows 10.  Clearly, the issue is discovering a management tool for monitoring and administrating file usage in a server-based network.  I didn't find such a tool, but I found the problem and a solution.  We still need a tool that reveals storage usage as simply as clicking 'Properties' on a folder in Windows Explorer.

The problem turned out to be with redirected folders.  The redirected Video folder was caching all files automatically.  The solution is to enable a Group Policy.  This policy is at a different location than you find in the TechNet documentation.... rather than ....Network\Offline files, you'll find it at:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Folder Redirection
        Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline

After setting this, I created a number of 'Administratively assigned offline files' in ....Network\Offline files, so that Doc and others would be automatically cached for offline use.

September 5th, 2015 1:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics