How to determine what Server to use
Can anyone tell me where I can go to get help in determining what version of Server to use for our org. We are a small computer lab with 20 machines. We currently run Windows 7 in a Homegroup but would like to move to active directory. We currently use only 2 accounts on all machines, an Admin, and Student for all of the clients that come into the lab. We are a VocRehab at the VA Medical Center (separate from the hospital) and have aprox 1100 client a month. We would like to upgrade to a better network setup. We have minor IT knowledge. We would like to find out which Server would best suit our needs and what features we could implement that we could benefit from as poss. E-Mail.
February 1st, 2011 12:27pm

Hello Tom, Since you are currently using Windows 7 in your home group, Recommendations might be for you to also get the newest windows Small Business Server 2011. You will have email, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP all in One. You can read more here. http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/default.aspx Hope this helpsIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award (MCC-2011)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 1:09pm

Isaac Thanks for the help, I was reading some on the sbs but it look like its limited to 75 users. We would have many more then that. Only 20 logged on at a time if this matters. Tom
February 1st, 2011 1:26pm

if you have more than 75 users then SBS does not fits in you scenario. Please let us know what would you use on the network and how many users will be there precisely and will they be increasing
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 1:31pm

Hello, IIRC you can use 75 device cals, means computers, where multiple users can work with. So no limit actually with users in AD UC, but a max. of 75 can logon together. You should counts maybe 20 user cals for adminstrative reasons and 55 device cals, thta way it should still be an option for you. To be sure about this call Microsoft support.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
February 1st, 2011 3:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics