How to delete snapshot/checkpoint WITHOUT applying ANY changes? How to get rid of snapshot/checkpoint FOREVER?

How to delete snapshot/checkpoint WITHOUT applying ANY changes? How to get rid of snapshot/checkpoint FOREVER?

If I apply snapshot/checkpoint, ok, ill go back in time, but the snapshot/checkpoint will be there, am I right?

If i delete the snapshot/checkpoint, the snapshot/checkpoint will gone, bt all changes will be applied, am I right?

hypotetical scneario:

Developers ask for a snapshot/checkpoint, so i create, now i have a snapshot/checkpoint

developers did a lot of changes and one month later, they decide: you can go back in time, reverting snapshot/applying it, making the VM as it was before.

But the developers are satisfied and they dont want to create any further snapshot/checkpoint, they dont need extra modifications, the need to keep things as ever be,.

I need to get rid of the snapshot/checkpoint, without applying and making sure that the snapshot/checkpoint will be gone and making NO modifications at all in the VM.

What is the best way?

• Edited by KayZerSoze 11 hours 3 minutes ago TYPO error
August 31st, 2015 4:08pm

"If I apply snapshot/checkpoint, ok, ill go back in time, but the snapshot/checkpoint will be there, am I right?"

Yes, you go 'back in time' and the checkpoint is still there.  However, remember that at this point, your checkpoing and Now are one and the same.  So you can now delete your checkpoint file if you never want to go back to that point in time.  Obviously deleting the checkpoint will cause a merge because the changes actually reside in the AVHD file that you are saying you want to get rid of.  But, if the developer has said that they never want to return back to that point in time and want to move forward with the current changes, that is exactly what you would do.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 5:44pm

Just to make myself crystal clear:

When i sad, that the developer team was satisfied, it was: AFTER i retuned back in time, after some modifications AND AFTER the revert operation.

As the snapshot is still there, i dont want to merge the modifications they tried in the past.

Day 1) Basic OS

Day 2) A lot of changes

Day 7) The ask for REVERT, going back in time, striclty speaking, going back do Day 1

Day 8) a lot of other changes, non related to change made in Day2

Now i need to delete snapshot/checkpoint and stay in Day 8, without any change made in Days 2-6

Thats it? Turn off the VM, delete the checkpoint and it will merge, trowing away changes made on Days 2-6?

August 31st, 2015 8:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics