How to decommision Hyper V VM?

Dear Hyper V Expert,

We are running Windows Server 2012 Standard as the Hyper V Server and there are some VMs running Windows Server 2008 R2 inside. One of the VM will need to decommission as it is old server and we have done the backup. What is the best procedure to decommission the server? is it just by deleting the VM then all the VM related file such as .VHD/.VHDX or XML will be deleted?

Thanks.

Regards,

H

August 25th, 2015 9:01pm

Yes.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 1:08am

August 27th, 2015 2:28am

Hi Henry2050,

After you delete the vm from Hyper-V manager, the virtual disk will remain a short time and it will deleted automatically, this is the expected and by designed behavior.

Best Regards,

August 31st, 2015 8:13am

Hi Henry2050,

After you delete the vm from Hyper-V manager, the virtual disk will remain a short time and it will deleted automatically, this is the expected and by designed behavior.

Best Regards,

September 2nd, 2015 1:28am

The virtual disk is never removed automatically if you used Hyper-V Manager to remove the virtual machine. I think Alex has HVM confused with VMM.

I have a VHD from a virtual machine that I deleted three years ago and the VHD is still there.

September 2nd, 2015 12:28pm

The virtual disk is never removed automatically if you used Hyper-V Manager to remove the virtual machine. I think Alex has HVM confused with VMM.

I have a VHD from a virtual machine that I deleted three years ago and the VHD is still

September 2nd, 2015 11:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics