How to debug Silverlight Crash?

I have an application that runs on my local machine but when I deploy it to azure, the browser crashes and offers to debug it with visual studio (or close the program).

When I select visual studio, it says it is unable to start visual studio.

Since it runs locally but not when deployed on azure, I think this could be a dependency problem. I'm using the data pager in the silverlight toolkit. I suspect the publishing process is not copying all the references.

How can I confirm that all my references are being packaged properly when shipping it off to azure? I've set them all to copy lo

June 25th, 2013 9:30pm

make sure that your xap file (which is actually a zip file and can be opened with an unzip software) has all the dependencies with it 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2013 9:41pm

Ok, I fished the xap file and unzipped it. It is missing these dlls:

system.core.dll

system.windows.dll

system.windows.controls

Why are these missing? Could this be causing the crash?

I'm also getting a lot of warnings:

Warning 1 The attribute 'System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.RoundtripOriginalAttribute' requires a reference to System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations in the client project 'PropertyGoalSetterWCFRIA'. Skipping generation of attribute. Please add a reference to System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations to ensure generation of the attribute. PropertyGoalSetterWCFRIA
Warning 2 The attribute 'System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.RoundtripOriginalAttribute' requires a reference to System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations in the client project 'PropertyGoalSetterWCFRIA'. Skipping generation of attribute. Please add a reference to System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations to ensure generation of the attribute. PropertyGoalSetterWCFRIA
Warning 3 The attribute 'System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.RoundtripOriginalAttribute' requires a reference to System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations in the client project 'PropertyGoalSetterWCFRIA'. Skipping generation of attribute. Please add a reference to System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations to ensure generation of the attribute. PropertyGoalSetterWCFRIA

What do these errors mean? Will I regret ignoring them?

Thanks

Si

June 26th, 2013 7:05am

Hi,

Never have this problem, but have a try. Make sure you add these dll to the project. Change CopyLocal to false and change back to true, if it is true by default for these references. After you finish, re-package and republish to azure again. The warnings are also missing reference, do the same to that reference.

Thanks,

June 26th, 2013 10:12am

OK, I'll try that. 

Is it possible we have a problem with the server side dependencies? What would it look like if there was a bad reference on the server side? How do I look at the azure logs for clues?

Thanks

Siegfried

June 26th, 2013 10:41pm

it is possible, webroles are application agnostic, you need to make sure that all the required dlls are part of your deployment, try making localcopy=true and see if that resolves the issue
June 26th, 2013 11:40pm

I checked the XML inside in the .sln file and all the <private>true</private> indicating local=true.

I have a new clue. Apparently this crash is not specific to deploying to azure! I'll describe it in another thread!

Please see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-US/bee5338e-31a1-4b22-ad77-d2bb3dde87b4/crash-only-happens-in-release-mode-not-debug-mo

June 27th, 2013 3:14am

As described in the link, it seems that there is a problem with the silverlight tool kit.
July 2nd, 2013 7:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics