How to create a office network with only a HP Procurve Switch currently in place?
Hello,I know windows networking fairly well. I have configured a couple of office networks and understand windows networking techologies. However, I've never had to deal with switches. Not even sure what a switch is.I am working for a company that has an HP Procurse switch. We need to a server (loading windows server and configuring it), add the pcs to a domain and create some software. Pretty straightforward. Normally I would:1) get a server (really good pc to run windows server)2) get the pcs and load a windows os3) configure the server with DNS, DHCP, etc.4) Get a router5) Run CAT 5 cables from each pc to the router6) Run cable from router to server7) Have server connected to internet cable.Now how do I connect the server to a switch for network connectivity and also internet connectivity? Can some give me a gentle nudge in the right direction for this project.As I sad previously, I've not ever had to deal with a switch which is what the office currently has. I hope I have the correct forum to ask this question (setup deployment). If not, please let me know where to post this.Thanks.
June 24th, 2009 10:56pm

Hello,You should connect the switch to the router WAN/Internet port and connect all servers/workstations to the switch. Switch have many more ports than router but you might need the router for firewall etc before passing internet traffic to your networkIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2009 11:47pm

With a simple NAT device (popularly called a DSL router) you connect the external port of the NAT device to the Internet then plug the clients into the internal ports. These internal ports are really a switch. They simply allow all machines plugged into the switch to communicate with each other. You caneffectively run a domain on a switch. You simply plug the server and all clients into the switch.To have Internet access you attach the switch, not the server, to the internet. As Isaac said, the switch should have a special port, probably labelled a WAN port, to connectthe switch to the Internet.Bill
June 25th, 2009 5:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics