How to connect my LAN DNS (mysite.com) to Internet DNS (mysite.com) registered on GoDaddy
Hi all, Here is my problem. Please advice me.Current Scenario:-Local Area Network with 50 Clients (Windows XP mostly)-Servers- Windows 2003 with AD directory, DNS (DNS name is mysite.com)and MS Exchange 2003 running-LAN networkhas IP address range 192.168.10.2-192.168.10.150- MS Exchange and outlook express has beenconfigured and can send email within LAN using email address like myname@mysite.comAdditional Information: Company has already registered domain name with GoDaddy.com with name mysite.com (same name as DNS and AD name of LAN). Company has also Internet connection with Dynamic IP from local ISP.Requirements:Company want to connectthe workingLAN (IP address in range 192.168.10.x/24) to the Internet. Configure properDNS settings (IP address and others if required)so that company usersas well as other users can send and receive emailsto/from company exchange server using email address like myname@mysite.com yourname@yahoo.com othername@msn.com. Company want some security but don't want to implement ISA server due to budget constrain.Please advice me how to setup such network.If there is any case study or step-by-step configuration with screenshots, please let me know. Thanks to reading...
December 28th, 2008 5:02pm

Since you are running AD, all of your LAN clients should use the local DNS (ie the one linked to AD) for DNS. They should be configured to use only this DNS server. To allow this DNS server to resolve external names, configure it to forward to a public DNS server (such as your ISP). It can then resolve foreign URLs as well as local names and resources for your LAN clients. It will only forward requests which it cannot resolve itself. The fact that your internal and external names are the same does not really matter. Your internal users will use the internal DNS and names will resolve to local private IP addresses. External (Internet) users will resolve your company name using the DNS at your ISP and will be directed to your public IP.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2008 2:11am

Hi there,Do you still have the problems with your AD architecutre ?we see that you have posted 3-4 queries regarding DNS, ISA, RRAS . Does those issues still reside ?,The question why i am asking is if we are not clear in our architecture part , its difficult to suggest a robost solutionsainath Windows Driver Development
December 29th, 2008 9:58am

would running a local web server be the answer?My understanding is that you want to be able to remotely send emails from the LAN.A service like http://www.dyndns.com/ may help.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 22nd, 2009 7:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics