How to configure/enable Remote Desktop over the Internet?
I have Windows Server 2003 installed and it is configured to Remote Desktop Connection (I mean Remote Desktop Login in is enabled). I can access this server from any client in LAN, now I would like to access this server from anywhere over the Internet (crossing the boundary of LAN). Please let me know how/what I have to configure simple and easy way. Thanks
November 6th, 2008 12:15am

Askmeagain,You will want to forward port 3389 from your router to the server. This will allow you to use RDP over the internet. When you are away from the office, you would use the public IP or a DNS entry to log into the server. Depending on what router you have will determine how you forward the port.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 6th, 2008 12:36am

There is a danger of putting a server out on the Internet listening on port 3389. To a hacker that mightport scan you, finding that hoston3389 is like gold.If you have to do this, restrict the inbound traffic to specific hosts, if at all possible. If you can't, watch the security log closely for bad login attempts.A more secure solution might be to install RRAS on the box, set it up to allow VPN connections, restrict accounts that have remote access, then setup a VPN connection to it from your client over the Internet, and once that's tunnels up then open an RDP session.See:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759171.aspxMichael O'Donnell, Sr. Support Engineer, Microsoft, Commercial Technical Support, Platforms Networking Team
November 6th, 2008 12:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics