How to change password in RDP session

Hi,

I meant to write press instead of click.  When the Remote application/Remote Desktop Client window has focus, they can press Ctrl-Alt-End, then click Change a password... or Change Password..., depending on your server version.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Damin Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:58 PM
May 8th, 2012 3:12pm

Hi,

Ctrl-Alt-

END

I did not say to press Ctrl-Alt-Del.

-TP

• Marked as answer by Lee Taylor Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:27 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 8th, 2012 3:23pm

In my situation all RDP clients are remote over the internet. their passwords expire every 60 days. How can the user change their password before it expires? CTRL ALT DEL will not work because it takes you to a password change on your local machine. Note the users have no access to a desktop only a single application is forced to run through the user profile.
May 8th, 2012 5:43pm

Hi,

They can click Ctrl-Alt-End to change their password.

-TP

May 8th, 2012 5:44pm

Click it where?
May 8th, 2012 6:02pm

Hi,

I meant to write press instead of click.  When the Remote application/Remote Desktop Client window has focus, they can press Ctrl-Alt-End, then click Change a password... or Change Password..., depending on your server version.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Damin Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:58 PM
May 8th, 2012 6:12pm

When you press CTRL ALT DEL on your computer it imeediately pulls you out of your session to change the password on your local computer. In this situtation the remote computer is not part of the domain so that does not work.
May 8th, 2012 6:14pm

Hi,

Ctrl-Alt-

END

I did not say to press Ctrl-Alt-Del.

-TP

• Marked as answer by Lee Taylor Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:27 PM
May 8th, 2012 6:23pm

In addition to TP's comment, you can also use RD Web Access to supply a way to allow the change of passwords before they expire.

More info in this TechNet Wiki:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10755.enabling-the-rd-webaccess-expired-password-reset-option-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

March 5th, 2013 1:12pm

Thanks - Brilliant
March 22nd, 2014 1:43pm

Ctrl-Alt-End works fine for changing the remote password in the simple case where you RDP to a single machine.

But I'm stuck now because I'm using a more complex configuration, with TWO levels of RDP:

My PC -> Intermediate system -> Second system

I can't go straight to the second system, because it's on a separate network.

And pressing Ctrl-Alt-End brings up the password change popup for the intermediate system.

So how can I change it on the second one?

Both the intermediate system and the second one are running Windows 2012.

(But as we still have machines running 2008R2, I'd be interested in a solution for that one as well.)

• Proposed as answer by westyside Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:50 AM
April 25th, 2014 1:19pm

Ctrl-Alt-End works fine for changing the remote password in the simple case where you RDP to a single machine.

But I'm stuck now because I'm using a more complex configuration, with TWO levels of RDP:

My PC -> Intermediate system -> Second system

I can't go straight to the second system, because it's on a separate network.

And pressing Ctrl-Alt-End brings up the password change popup for the intermediate system.

So how can I change it on the second one?

Both the intermediate system and the second one are running Windows 2012.

(But as we still have machines running 2008R2, I'd be interested in a solution for that one as well.)

• Proposed as answer by westyside Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:50 AM
April 25th, 2014 4:19pm

I was looking for a solution to this too and found the following that works like a charm:

Use the On-Screen Keyboard (osk.exe). You can press Ctrl-Alt-Del virtually!
Holding ctrl-alt on the top-level machine and clicking the 'del' in the desired level OSK works.

Start->Run

osk.exe

Once the app is open, hold ctrl+Alt on your keyboard, then click on the del key in osk.exe.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by SIAANCR Monday, June 30, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by SIAANCR Monday, June 30, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Bennyboy1978 Tuesday, September 02, 2014 2:22 PM
April 28th, 2014 6:55pm

I was looking for a solution to this too and found the following that works like a charm:

Use the On-Screen Keyboard (osk.exe). You can press Ctrl-Alt-Del virtually!
Holding ctrl-alt on the top-level machine and clicking the 'del' in the desired level OSK works.

Start->Run

osk.exe

Once the app is open, hold ctrl+Alt on your keyboard, then click on the del key in osk.exe.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by SIAANCR Monday, June 30, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by SIAANCR Monday, June 30, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Bennyboy1978 Tuesday, September 02, 2014 2:22 PM
April 28th, 2014 9:55pm

I had the same problem....control + alt + end does NOT work on nested RDP sessions, no matter how large you make the END, Mr. Moderator (TP) ;-)

This procedure is the only one which worked for me on a Windows 2012 R2 RDP session:

1. Click Start
  2. Type osk
  3. Hit enter
  4. Once the On screen Keyboard is open, hold ctrl+Alt on your physical keyboard, then click on the del key in the on screen keyboard.
  5. Minimize the on screen Keyboard
  6. Click Change a password.

Thanks a ton for the tip, Bill!

October 16th, 2014 3:57pm

Nice one Mr. Bill. Using the On-Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) on the remote server works perfectly.
November 12th, 2014 7:48pm

Another option is to hit the Shift 5 times which will bring up sticky keys on all systems.  Cancel all but click yes on the RDP session where you want to do the cntr-alt-del.   Then simply press the keys one after the other.
November 20th, 2014 10:29am

Another option is to hit the Shift 5 times which will bring up sticky keys on all systems.  Cancel all but click yes on the RDP session where you want to do the cntr-alt-del.   Then simply press the keys one after the other.
November 20th, 2014 1:29pm

Ok, perfect!

February 16th, 2015 6:18am

IIRC it's CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+END in your case.

(RDP inside RDP.)
May 30th, 2015 10:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics