How to change Hyper-V 2012R2 Enhanced Session Mode Options?

MS Server 2012R2 with latest updates features improved Hyper-V hypervisor with broader functionality. In particular, it offers Enhanced Session Mode (ESM) for Win8.1 Guest VMs similar to VMware Tools allowing to integrate host PC services. Repeat publications on the web explain how to switch On the Enhanced Session Mode, like (no links were allowed by this site):

Using Virtual Machine Connection and the Enhanced Session Mode

Remote Desktop Settings for Hyper-V VM

Virtual machine Connection - Enhanced Session Mode Overview

What is missing in all them - a simple hint on how to change Enhanced Mode options btw VM sessions. It appears, MS developers forget to add such control to Hyper-V Manager. A running VM's Enhanced Session Dialog allows to tick option "Save my settings for future connection to this virtual machine". But... it doesn't always work. Whether you select or deselect it, your choice of options is saved somewhere - but I couldn't find it anywhere, including mentioned in one article above folder %appdata%\roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Client\1.0 , where some Hyper-V settings are saved, but not for this Dialog's options. 

Resetting a VM or switching the Enhanced Mode support in Hyper-V Manager Settings doesn't do it either, whether you Restart, Refresh service, switch Off / On ESM support, or whatever. Contrary to above article, Edit Enhanced Session Settings option doesn't exist now for VMs in Hyper-V Manager. The only way to change such options like choosing different devices via Enhanced Session Dialog I found was deleting the VM and re-creating it all over again.

Are there any normal ways to change the Dialog options once set? Where they're stored on the host? Pls verify your advice before posting, don't limit it to canned "troubleshooting" messages. If NO ways to change the Options, pls escalate this bug to developers for patching. For example, VMware GUI offers direct very convenient way to dynamically connect any removable device.

• Edited by sambul13 Saturday, May 24, 2014 6:36 PM
May 23rd, 2014 4:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics