How to browse between 2 forests
We had a situation where we had to take half of our users and put them in a second forest. Both forests are single domain Server 2003 R2 forests. We want to use our TrackIt Server for both forests for inventory purposes, however we cannot add the new forest as it does not show up in a network browse. Only the domain the TrackIt server is in is available. There is a two way trust between the forests and each DNS server has zones for the other forest also. Can anyone tell me how to make the forests visible to each other in a network browse? Thanks very much to anyone who may take the time to respond to my request...I do appreciate your time.
September 25th, 2009 10:15pm

Hi,when you say BROWSE the other forest, what exactly are you refering to? Is it looking at AD objects from both the Forest? Are yoy trying sync the users , contacts on both the forests.Raj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 25th, 2009 10:52pm

No - I have another solution to sync email users between forests. What I am trying to do is from within TrackIt - but basically is the same as when you open My Network Places. When anyone opens network places in either forest - it only shows the forest they are in. I need to be able to see both forests so I can browse to machines in either forest from either forest. I was wondering if putting up a WINS server would help, but I am hesitant to do so unless someone can confirm it will work(I'd rather not use WINS if possible)
September 25th, 2009 10:56pm

As you said DNS has been taken care. Is there a permission issue some where? By default the AD will not allow yuo to browse till the time you have explicit allow permissions to browse the other forest or domain.Raj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 25th, 2009 11:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics