How to block sites in 2008 server
Hi , i am new to server 2008, my requirement is like i need to block some websites in a timely basis to those users logged in to the domain. eg: i want to restrict the mail sites during the working hours except lunch time please advice Regards, Jeethi George
August 13th, 2010 11:42am

Windows 2008 does not offer an out-of-the-box solution for the requirements you set. To enable flexible webfiltering, you should take a look at a proxy: a proxy server can filter, limit and restrict access to websites. It also enables you to monitor usage and track abuse. Microsoft offers a proxy solution called Microsoft Forefront TMG 2010 If you have only few "allowed" sites, another possibility is to setup a DNS server for your users which only contains the needed records. If you have only few "disallowed" sites, you might want to add a firewall rule which blocks connections to some external IP's. In the first two scenario's do not forget to restrict access to internet resources other than via your dns/proxy/firewall, in other words, you should restrict any outgoing dns traffic from clients, and if a proxy is used even http reuest to the internet must be blocked. MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 13th, 2010 11:57am

HI SenneVL, is it possible to block sites using the domain policies Pls advice
August 13th, 2010 12:07pm

Hello, for a really small amount of webpages use the Internet Explorer Content Advisor settings via GPO. But to get a real solution you can only use a proxy solution like Microsoft Forefront.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 13th, 2010 12:25pm

Hai, how can i configure a proxy inn 2008 server. do i need to change anything on client mechine for proxy change ?
August 13th, 2010 12:41pm

Hello, you need additional software to built a proxy server. Microsoft Forefront TMG 2010 is one solution. There are also free options like SQUID http://www.squid-cache.org/Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 13th, 2010 1:08pm

You will need to install th proxy server and configure IE on the clients to use this proxy server. If needed you can configure this through GPO MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
August 13th, 2010 1:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics