How to automatically log off idle users
How\where can i log-off users automatically after certain amount of idle time on Server 2008 R2 another question Is it possiable to only dissconnect the session (so that the work of the user is still kept, but the user still needs to re-login) after like 5 minutes and if the user still haven't returned 10 minutes after to log off completly Thanks, Mosh
September 16th, 2010 2:03pm

Hi Mosh, based on my experience, there is a free tool can help you to achieve the target. Please check the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=d077a52d-93e9-4b02-bd95-9d770ccdb431&displaylang=en You can set idle/session timer so that users can log off automatically. This tool can be installed on client computers. For Windows Server 2008 computer, you can try importing its adm and configuring it in Group Policy: http://cid-4fc3e8fc77f77286.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SCTSettings.adm After importing the ADM, you can check the following policy: All Windows SteadyState Restrictions - General Settings - Force logoff after specified number of minutes and see if that works. Hope this helps!Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2010 1:34am

thank you for your answer sean the tool u refered me to is only for windows xp/vista. and i'm using windows 7 64bit clients so that won't work for me Sincerely, Mosh
September 17th, 2010 1:07pm

Hi Mosh, it's true that you cannot install it on Windows 7 clients, but if you import the adm on the Server, I consider this should also work for Windows 7 clients.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 19th, 2010 10:35pm

sounds good, i'll do that just what exectly ADM stands for and where can i find it? Thanks, Mosh
September 20th, 2010 7:01am

ADM stands for Group Policy Administrative Template. Download Shared Computer Toolkit (SCT) (sctsettings.adm) from this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2006.07.utilityspotlight.aspx Use GPMC (Group Policy Management Console) to import.
September 20th, 2010 8:42am

Hi Mosh, it's true that you cannot install it on Windows 7 clients, but if you import the adm on the Server, I consider this should also work for Windows 7 clients. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am trying to accomplish this same thing on Win7 X64 clients. So even if you dont have the msi installed on the Windows 7 clients and you just import the ADM into your domain policy editor, the policiy settings will still work on those Windows 7 clients? Doesnt the msi need to be installed on the client for this to work?
December 6th, 2010 2:25pm

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am trying to accomplish this same thing on Win7 X64 clients. So even if you dont have the msi installed on the Windows 7 clients and you just import the ADM into your domain policy editor, the policiy settings will still work on those Windows 7 clients? Doesnt the msi need to be installed on the client for this to work?
December 6th, 2010 2:26pm

I'm trying to import the adm file to gpo and after that i only see log off after xx minutes used. no log off after idle time. please help.
January 13th, 2011 6:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics