How to add website port correctly in windows server 2008 R2
Hello: I am new to windows server 2008. Recently we set up a new server and install windows server 2008 R2 and then try to transfer the website originally located in win 2003 server to the new 2008 server. The problem is that we would like to create a new website in 2008 server and try to assign 8000 port to the website. We create the port policy in firewall but found only local view in the same machine is ok. When we try to remote connect to the webserver which is located in the windows 2008 server is trouble. We try to close the firewall but remote connect is still did not work. It is very simple configuration in win server 2003 but seems to make us headacke in win server 2008. Did anyone know how to fix the problem?Please be patient that if I did not mark your reply to be answered just because I am testing your suggestion. I will reply as soon as I got test result. Anyway I thanks for those who provide programming comment to me. You are an angel to help me create my business and life.
September 19th, 2011 5:59am

Hiya, It requires a web server in order to provide an answer. For Server 2008 you can install IIS to act as a web server. From there you can create your site and add a binding to this site. That way it will reply when someone requests something at port 8000.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2011 6:07am

As Jesper recommended, you do need to install IIS on the 2008 Server, create a website, and modify its binding. By default, the website will listen on port 80. You can change that to 8000 or any other port you require. I would recommend that if you need detailed assistance with IIS, proceed to ask those questions on Microsoft's official forum for IIS. http://forums.IIS.net Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 19th, 2011 10:10am

Hi Daniel, Thanks for posting here. > We create the port policy in firewall but found only local view in the same machine is ok. Do you mean will only work when access this website form itself or other hosts in same local area network by go through its address like <Internal IP address:8000> but failed form internet by <your internet address:8000>? If so, it appears there must some troubles on your internet gateway . It’s appreciate that if you can confirm with me . Have you checked the Windows Server 208 built-in firewall service ? or have you also set IPsec for your web server ? Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2011 10:18am

Hello Tiger: Yes I can only local call "Internal IP address:8000" but remote call "your internet address:8000" is fail even I close the firewall. It is strange that <internet address:80> is ok. Regards, Daniel LeePlease be patient that if I did not mark your reply to be answered just because I am testing your suggestion. I will reply as soon as I got test result. Anyway I thanks for those who provide programming comment to me. You are an angel to help me create my business and life.
September 26th, 2011 9:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics