How to access network drives via VPN...
Hi, I have done some research on this topic but have been unable to come up with a solution. Currently we have users who need to access network drives when connected remotely via VPN but up until now are unable. I have even changed the server name to an IP Address in the mapping and still without a success are unable to view the drives. The mapped drives are set up on a Windows Server 2008 Standard and the users who are trying to access them are using XP Pro. Not sure if anyone has encountered this and what your solution was but i would apppreciate any assistance. Thank you.
April 11th, 2011 2:38pm

Hi Adranos, What the exact error message do you have? How did you create a mapped drive? By using GP Preferences drive maps, using a script or manually map drive for Windows XP, like below? Create a mapped VPN drive in Windows XP http://support.meritsolutions.ca/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=4 If drive maps preference items are unable to process across a VPN connection, you can enable Drive Maps preference extension policy processing setting and select "Allow processing across a slow network connection" & "Process even if the Group Polcy objects have not changed" options under "Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy" If you are using a script, you need to enable "scripts policy processing" setting and select two options above. Please also check the following thread. Unable to Browse Network Drives When connected via VPN http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/a5d9e99d-bba6-4921-9394-11be04895961 Brent Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2011 10:10pm

The mapped drives are mapped via a login script which then still show up with when you login at home except you are unable to access the drives via VPN. Though if i connect via workgroup (name of the computer) and not the domain profile i am able to connect to the drives via VPN.
May 2nd, 2011 9:35pm

Thank you. With the help of another member (Michael) i was able to resolve this on another posting. Solution: Mapping need to be removed and then re-mapped with the users credentials.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 11th, 2011 10:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics