How to Extend System Volume in Windows Server 2008?
i have a Windows Server 2008 Datacenter. i have one disk with the partitions below: C: 20GB simple basic system, boot, ,active,primary partition D: 50GB simple basic logical drive E: 50GB simple basic logical drive F: 60GB simple basic logical drive G: 44GB simple basic logical drive i want to extend system boot volume C, i shrunk volume D and there is now ‘free space’ with green colour in computer disk management window. i do right click in C volume to click "extend volume" but it is not active..!!!! why is it not active and i can't extend it?? and now what should i do to having more space on C? pls advise me how to proceed.... my C drive is full, there is only 700MB free on it. Thanks in advance……
March 13th, 2011 11:58pm

Hi Eric, AFAIK, we can only extend the boot partition in contiguous unallocated disk space, if you don't wish to delete the next drive to spare the unallocated disk space in the case, I think we may need to use third party software to extend or resize the system drive C: How to extend system partition in Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000, Server 2003 and Server 2008? http://www.extend-partition.com/extend-system-boot-partition.html Hope it helps. ScorpioTechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup | MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Administrator | Solution Architect
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 14th, 2011 12:10am

Hi Eric, You can't extend system boot partition C drive unless deleting D partition. But you must backup data on your D drive, it is time-consuming and risky to do that. By the way, after deleting D partition, the volume on it also is free space, you also can not extend C drive, because only contiguous unallocated space can be added on with built-in Disk Management. So you must delete the free space once more, then it will become unallocated space. I think you don't wish to backup data and delete your partition which will make you reboot computer. I suggest you use some third-party partition software, such as Aomei Partition Assistant, the Server Edition is compatible with Server and non-server Windows Operating System. The detailed steps on how to extend system/boot volume with contiguous unallocated space: http://www.extend-partition.com/partition-windows-server/extend-system-boot-volume-partition-server.html
March 14th, 2011 12:12am

I think you can solve your problem now because the above two kind helpers and the helpful resource. Aomei partition Assistant, really worth trying. That’s why they all introduce it.
March 14th, 2011 12:30am

Thank you for providing the information. I will have a try!
March 14th, 2011 4:57am

It seems fictitious stories. What funny spammers, why the administor didn't delete the jokes? I won't use such tool though "they all introduce it"
March 19th, 2011 4:05pm

You just need to shrink another data partition to get some unallocated space, after that you can extend the system partition, very easy. See this guide how to extend c drive in Windows 2008
March 20th, 2011 5:45pm

Hi, Compared with Windows 2000, 2003 Server, one of improvements of Windows 2008 Server is that it provides two new functions under snap-in Disk Management, that is, "Extend/Shrink Volume". So you can extend system volume on Windows 2008 with built-in Disk Management, the following is a detail tutorial about how to extend system partition with Disk Management and third-party software: http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2008/extend-system-partition-server-2008.html
April 29th, 2011 3:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics