How to Exclude/Block a Single Update from Automatic Updates
Windows Server 2008 R2. I keep getting an update (SQL Server 2005 Express Service Pack 4) each time automatic updates run on my server. This update fails and takes down some essential services when it does. I want to make it so that this update is no longer downloaded when the automatic updates happen. How can I exclude/disable this one update (or any other single update) from EVER being downloaded again? I have seen instructions for this, but they do not apply to Windows Server 2008 R2 and thus are not helpful. Thanks for the help.Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org
February 16th, 2012 3:26am

Hi, If you are using WSUS as its update source, there is no way except that you install this SP. If you are using MU as its update source,in the windows update | control panel, uncheck this update not to install it, but you need to uncheck it everytime until you install it. So what's the cause of not installing it? If it failed in installation, you need to check the ervery possible issue other than let it go. Best regards, ClarencePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 16th, 2012 5:29am

I've tried every piece of "advice" I have received in these forums to no avail. It seems that many folks have had similar issues with the update not installing. I have spent many hours chasing rabbits. No help from Microsoft. I have just gotten to the point of needing to move on with other work.Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org
February 16th, 2012 5:58am

Hi, Regarding the installation failure, you can separately start the thread in SQL related forums, but in case you just dont want to download it you can hide the update. Once all the updates have been offered by Windows update, click to see the list of all the offered updates. The one you dont want ever to be offered again, right click on it click the 'Hide Update' option. Thanks, Girish ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click "Vote As Helpful" on the post if the information is useful to you ! Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you to fix the issues, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 16th, 2012 7:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics