How to COPY/MOVE between 2 different W2K12 R2 FAILOVER CLUSTER

Hello,

I'll have to perform a migration from different Cluster (From Cluster A to Cluster B)

Both cluster are quite similar and Virtual Machine migration using  SCVMM is working. 

But  that migration is done through 2 different datacenters (WAN), and when migration is done we will have to virtual machines IP, etc... (but this is another battle)

The question is that we would like to perform a Virtual Machine "copy" instead of perform a Move, the reason is that we would like to have a quick way to perform a Rollback in case of problems.

Move with Move-SCVirtualMachine it's easy, but there is no 'Copy' function.

I may work using some export/import techniques and recreate the VM resource on the target Cluster, but it requires some time and specific scripting.

Does anybody have any idea suggestion about how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

April 23rd, 2015 7:38am

Hi Pep,

I would suggest the best option would be to setup Hyper-V replica from one cluster to the other. You can then replica a live VM from the first Cluster to the second cluster. You then have the option to failover to the second cluster which for a planned failover will power off the source VM, sync changes since the last sync to the target VM then power the target VM up. As part of this process you can inject an IP address so that when the VM powers up in the second location it has the correct IP for the datacentre. You can then reverse the replica and fail back and forth as you wish. This leaves the original VM in location to failback to if there are issues with the VM in the new location.

Hyper-V replica is setup outside of SCVMM in either Hyper-V Manger or Failover cluster manager depending if your replicating between standalone hosts or clusters or a mixture of both.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yungchou/archive/2013/01/10/hyper-v-replica-explained.aspx

You can perform a live export of a running VM in Failover Cluster Manger and then import it the other end. The only thing you will need to do is makes sure when you bring imported VM online that the old one is shutdown so you don't have a split brain scenario with the source VM still bein

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2015 9:31am

Hi Sir,

I would like to check if you need further assistance .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

April 25th, 2015 11:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics