How tell who is using a file on a Windows 2003 server
Hello All, I'm trying to delete a file and got a message saying the file is in use. How can I tell who is using the file or what process is using the file. I'm running Windows 2003 server. Thanks for the help
April 30th, 2010 10:29pm

Right Click My Computer, go to manage. Click Shared Folders and then you can see Sessions and Open Files.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2010 3:03am

This tool may also be useful. Process Monitor v2.9 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 1st, 2010 6:00am

Hello All, I'm trying to delete a file and got a message saying the file is in use. You can use process exploer along with dave suggestion or Handle utility to chekc open file sessions. But you need to wait for the file operations to finish to delete the file ( eg: if user is copying data to the shared file then you cannot delete the file which is in use )
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2010 12:10pm

Hi, You can also navigate to Computer Management > Share Folders > Open files. For more information, please refer to the following screen shot. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
May 6th, 2010 12:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics