How name resolution is done by ping command?
I have two Windows 2008 Server machines with the ip addresses 172.18.83.226 and 172.18.3.216. I am able to ping the two machines by just using the hostname. But i dont have the entries in my DNS. But it does not resolve if i give nslookup. But there is one more machine in the network with ip address 172.18.90.177. This cannot be reached through ping by using the hostname. Can i find which DNS ping command uses to get the ip-address?- Santron Manibharathi.
May 28th, 2012 4:24am

Hello, Check whether you have any manual entry of hostname and Ip address in hosts file. Path is:C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and open it with notepad. 2. If you want to know DNS server name in your domain use command nltest/dnsgetdc:<domain name>.Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2012 4:40am

It is not easy to answer your question because of I do not know the exact network structure. If there is not a record in DNS, then nebios resolution may take the place. What kind of node you have you can get from output from ipconfig /all For netbios resolution use function nbtstat Look what parameters are appropriate for your situation nbtstat /? Remember that the host is "invisible" from the point of view of non routable protocol. DNS name resolution allow you routing, while for netbios resolution you would need a specific tool that allow seeing netbios names behind router (WINS). There is very important step, when you play with name resolution, namely the deletition of cache (ipconfig /flushdns and nbtstat -RR) Regards Milos
May 28th, 2012 4:41am

Hello, Check whether you have any manual entry of hostname and Ip address in hosts file. Path is:C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and open it with notepad. 2. If you want to know DNS server name in your domain use command nltest/dnsgetdc:<domain name>. Regards, Ravikumar P By using nltest, i can get the DNS of the domain. But only one among the two servers is in a domain and the other is just a standalone installation. In the DNS server i get, i dont have the entry for the machine (172.18.3.216) but i am able to ping it by giving the hostname. Now i want from where it gets the ip of this machine.- Santron Manibharathi.
May 28th, 2012 5:32am

Use NBTSTAT -A <IP ADDRESS> it will gives you netbios name of the server to which this IP address is assigned.Regards, Ravikumar P
May 28th, 2012 6:21am

Hi, Thank you for the post. How name resolution is done by ping command? It depends on MS host name resolution order: host own name--hosts file--DNS--NetBIOS/WINS--LMHOST file. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172218 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119493 But there is one more machine in the network with ip address 172.18.90.177. This cannot be reached through ping by using the hostname. If the computer is connected across the router, it require WINS server to resolve NetBIOs name. Otherwise, check if set enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on computer NIC settings. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
May 28th, 2012 10:48pm

Hi, Thank you for the post. How name resolution is done by ping command? It depends on MS host name resolution order: host own name--hosts file--DNS--NetBIOS/WINS--LMHOST file. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172218 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119493 But there is one more machine in the network with ip address 172.18.90.177. This cannot be reached through ping by using the hostname. If the computer is connected across the router, it require WINS server to resolve NetBIOs name. Otherwise, check if set enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on computer NIC settings. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
May 28th, 2012 10:55pm

Is your IT infrastructure has WINS server? Probably, 172.18.83.226 and 172.18.3.216 are WINS Server clients, but not DNS server clients, and 172.18.90.177 is not WINS and DNS client. Check IP settings of these three hosts and host from which you are pinging using ipconfig /all command. ---------------------- Regards, Dmitry
May 30th, 2012 12:00am

Is your IT infrastructure has WINS server? Probably, 172.18.83.226 and 172.18.3.216 are WINS Server clients, but not DNS server clients, and 172.18.90.177 is not WINS and DNS client. Check IP settings of these three hosts and host from which you are pinging using ipconfig /all command. ---------------------- Regards, Dmitry 172.18.90.177 is a DNS Client of xyz.abc.com, 172.18.83.226 has its own DNS server and dns server for that machine is set to 127.0.0.1. But 172.18.3.216 is not assigned with any dns server. - Santron Manibharathi.
May 30th, 2012 10:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics