How many servers do I need
Given whack of Licenses I see virtual servers as dime a dozen. So how many do I really need. Exhange does not play nice with Sharepoint so it is on its' own server So the Sharepoint VM is likely the best machine for web serving So now other servers SQL can work on anything so I am not concerned A development shop might want to use Team Foundation Server which is lightweight I see other 4U servers purely as storage with RAID cards, handy for backups. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 7th, 2011 9:30pm

Was that a question or a statement? If it was a question, exactly what was it?Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2011 10:26pm

I was simply wondering if I missed anything My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 7th, 2011 10:27pm

Hi Vegan, Would you please be specific? We have not got your requirement or issue clearly. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 9th, 2011 5:26am

I am looking at how many instanced I need I used to use Linux for my servers Seeme Exchange does not place nice with Sharepoint etc My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 9th, 2011 9:51am

Hello, The answer is dependant on the amount of clients for the network. A small sharepoint farm contains an SQL server, Web server, and Application server. The exchange server will likely need a separate VM. If the VM host is low on resources then you could consolidate the SQL, Web, and Application servers on a single VM. However, this option is only suitable for a small networks. This link will aid you in the topology of your sharepoint network. Physical topology recommendations Tyler
June 9th, 2011 11:28am

Except for SBS (and possibly SharePoint), SQL Server should not be installed on a Domain Controller. In particular, dcpromo should never be run on a computer with SQL Server, either to promote or demote a DC. In fact, best practice is to not install anything else on a DC. Several SQL Server instances can be installed on one server. The number of DC's depends on your network, but there should be at least two per domain, and best would be one or more per site (assuming remote sites). Virtual servers are fine, but don't put all of your eggs in one hardware basket either. Does this help? Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
June 9th, 2011 1:47pm

Hello, at the moment you are talking about Exchange, SQL and Sharepoint. This result in a domain requirement as at least Exchange require a domain. So in your case: 2 x DC/DNS/GC 1 x Exchange member server 1 x SQL member server 1 x Sharepoint member server 1 x TFS member server What about file/print and backup? At the moment i am up to 6 machines. And if file/print/backup(can be on one) then 7 machines are on the list.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 9th, 2011 4:05pm

I will be using some Linux servers configured for file server so that that can be used for backups etc. Thanks for the suggestions, that is why I asked how many because I am still learning how to use Windows Server best. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 9th, 2011 6:04pm

Hi , and you multiple the servers for Exchange , SQL, SP, if you are looking for fault tolerance. But you need to then decide on the following a) number of Hyper-v hosts / vmware host b) amount of RAM - GB c) Storage d) Vlan's where required.
June 10th, 2011 12:48am

I probably will use serveral blades to provide the platform for servers running Hyper-V and then use actual VMs for the tasks needed. The 4U servers will use Linus for large scale storage. My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT Remote Assistance is available for a fee. I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010 Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews
June 10th, 2011 8:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics