How many RDP users will server 2008 and 2012 support

I have a client that already has a server(2008 or 2012 not sure yet) and is looking at buying a new server to allow RDP users to access a certain software installed on the new server. Right now they will have 10 clients accessing RDP concurrently and will probably upgrade to 25 users in the near future.

My Question is what is the best solution? Does Server 2012 Standard support more than 25 rdp users? Is there a less expensive way then using 2012 standard?

Thanks for any recommendations

July 27th, 2015 1:31pm

Hi

You need to purchase each User or Device CALs for Remote desktop service.Also it's supports more than 25,so you need to purchase rdp licence number of users.

Check this detailed information about server 2012 r2 rdp licensing;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/learn-more/brief-windows-server-2012-rds.aspx

• Marked as answer by QPC- Ben 11 hours 55 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2015 1:39pm

You are licensing it correctly. There is not a more cost effective licensing model.

Yes, 2012 standard can host more than 25 RDP connections. Your limit is going to be based on licenses and what your hardware can support. By support I mean give you a good RDP experience.

July 27th, 2015 1:41pm

Thank you for the verification.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2015 3:14pm

How much resource's from hardware does rdp take up. They are using this server for 1 application and 25 rdp users. Do we need actual server hardware or will i5 or i7 cpu work?

July 27th, 2015 3:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics