How does KMS activation work?
Hello, we had a KMS server running on a Windows 2008 DC. Now I installed a new server with Windows Server 2008 R2. DNS entry is done and all others are removed. I installed VAMT 2 and copied the list from the old server. I activated the R2 Product key on the KMS server. Then I added in VAMT the Product Key for Windows 7 KMS and Windows Server 2008 (without R2). Then I had problems to activate clients and servers. The count was 14. So I installed several Windows 7 virtual pcs. Now I can activate Windows 7. I tried to activate Windows Server 2008 R2 and this is also working, but I cannot activate existing Windows Server 2008 servers. I get the error that the count is insufficient. I already have more then 20 DCs with Windows Server 2008 in the VAMT list and I reactivated them to this KMS server with KMS activation. Is it possible with the Windows Server 2008 R2 key to activate Windows Server 2008? slmgr -dlv shows: Partial Prduct key: K73CJ -> is the R2 Product key License Status: Licensed Remaining Windows rearm count: 3 Current count: 28 Listening port: 1688 DNS publishing enabled Total Request received: 913 Failed request received: 34 Do I have to install more 2008 Servers or is there something wrong? Thanks in advance Dirk
November 24th, 2010 9:21am

Hello Dirk, On the KMS Host machine, run slmgr /dlv What is on the top three lines of the output ( version, name and description lines)? On the Windows Server 2008 KMS client, also ru slmgr /dlv report back with version, name and description as well) Also check to make sure the KMS client is reporting the correct KMS host name, and is not pointed to the old KMS host name. Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 24th, 2010 4:47pm

Do you enable auto-discovery on KMS clients? If not, after migrating the KMS server to the new machine, you need to manually update the KMS host information on KMS clients. Please ping the KMS host server to ensure that the KMS client can communicate with KMS host, then manually assign the KMS host to a KMS client: 1. Log on to the KMS client computer (Windows Server 2008). 2. Open an elevated command prompt. 3. At the command prompt, type one of the following options and press Enter. a. To assign a KMS host using the host’s FQDN, type: Cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <KMS_FQDN>:<port> b. To assign a KMS host using the host’s version 4 IP address, type: Cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv4Address><:port> c. To assign a KMS host using the host’s NETBIOS name, type: Cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <Netbios><:port> Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 25th, 2010 12:26am

Hi Darrell, the 3 lines: Software licensing service version 6.1.7600.16385 Name: Windows Server(R), ServerStandard edition Description: Windows Operationg System - Windows Server(R)Volume_KMS_R2_B channel br Dirk
November 26th, 2010 3:00am

Hello Dale, this was exactly what I did. I also checked in the registry of the servers and they are pointing to the new server. I also tried the activation from the VAMT on the KMS server but then I receive the mentioned error. Normally I always use the fqdn version. br Dirk
November 26th, 2010 3:02am

Hello Dirk, How about the same three lines from the KMS client? Also look at the KMS event log on the KMS host, let's locate this client contact and response. Is there an error message in the event? If so what is the error code?Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
November 26th, 2010 2:58pm

I noticed one more thing, as you said above that you copied the VAMT list from the old Windows Server 2008 to the new VAMT 2.0. I am assuming that the computer information isn’t correctly reported in VAMT 2.0. What was the version of VAMT installed in the old server? Is the CIL file saved by previous versions of VAMT. If it is the case, the CIL file saved by previous versions of VAMT should not be imported to VAMT 2.0. When open a CIL file saved in a previous version of VAMT, the edition information is not shown for each product in the center pane. Users must update the products status and the licensing status again for the computers and saved the refreshed result into VAMT 2.0 CIL file. Best Regards Dale Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
November 28th, 2010 9:01pm

Hello Darrell, the 3 lines from the 2 servers are: Software licensing service version: 6.0.6002.18005 Name: Windows Server(R), ServerStandard edition Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), Volume_KMSClient channel br Dirk
November 29th, 2010 2:05am

Hello Dale, the VAMT version of the old KMS server: 2.0.44.0 the VAMT version of the new KMS server: 2.0.67.0 br Dirk
November 29th, 2010 2:08am

It seems , that the license key is one of the default Windows Vista key on a Windows Server 2008 and the error code on the client is: 0xC004F00F (slmgr -dlv). How can I now change the key and pointing to KMS? br Dirk
November 29th, 2010 2:29am

Hi, Error code 0xC004F00F indicates that the Software Licensing Service reported that the hardware ID binding is beyond level of tolerance. This issue may occur if the computer hardware has changed or if the drivers that are installed on the computer have been updated. To work around this issue if you use KMS, restart the computer. Or, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER: slmgr.vbs -ato Reference: How to troubleshoot Volume Activation error codes on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista-based computers In your scenario, the KMS server is changed, you need to convert Windows Server 2008 to be a KMS client and reconnect the Windows Server 2008 to KMS for re-activation. There are public released KMS client key that you can use to convert your computer to KMS client. Please run the command: Slmgr /ipk <setup key> The setup keys for Windows Server 2008 are: Server Windows Web Server 2008 WYR28-R7TFJ-3X2YQ-YCY4H-M249D Server Windows Server 2008 Standard TM24T-X9RMF-VWXK6-X8JC9-BFGM2 Server Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V W7VD6-7JFBR-RX26B-YKQ3Y-6FFFJ Server Windows Server 2008 Enterprise YQGMW-MPWTJ-34KDK-48M3W-X4Q6V Server Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V 39BXF-X8Q23-P2WWT-38T2F-G3FPG Server Windows Server 2008 HPC RCTX3-KWVHP-BR6TB-RB6DM-6X7HP Server Windows Server 2008 Datacenter 7M67G-PC374-GR742-YH8V4-TCBY3 Server Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V 22XQ2-VRXRG-P8D42-K34TD-G3QQC Server Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems 4DWFP-JF3DJ-B7DTH-78FJB-PDRHK KMS Client Setup Keys Best Regards Dale Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 29th, 2010 4:11am

Hi Dale, this did the job. I had to try a little bit and wasn't successfull from the beginning. C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ipk TM24T-X9RMF-VWXK6-X8JC9-BFGM2 C:\Windows\system32>slmgr -dlv C:\Windows\system32>slmgr -skms kms.domain.com:1688 C:\Windows\system32>slmgr -ato Thanks Dirk
November 29th, 2010 4:36am

I'm glad to see that the problem was resolved. Cheers, thanks for your sharing. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 29th, 2010 5:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics