How does DTExec get installed?

Fellow SQLers,

Many years ago, I had asked this question (SQL 2008R2) at a SQL Pass convention and I was told that the only way you get DTEXEC is by installeding Integration Services. So, for example, if someone did not really want to use Intergartion Services but run SSIS packages vai command line, they could just keep Intergration Services turned of and run DTEXEC against the DTSX file system location.

I have just installed SQL 2012 Developer edition, did not select Intergration Services but see DTEXEC in both 64 bit and 32 bit folders.

1 - Was what I was told incorrect regarding how DTEXEC gets on a box?

2 - Did MS change how they deploy DTEXEC in sql 2012. The really only other thing I picked during the SQL 2012 install was SQL Data tools.

Thanks,
MG

August 30th, 2015 12:52pm

Hi mg101,

Nothing has changed since then.

DTEXEC gets installed even if you only install SQL Server database engine along.

Why present is because DTEXEC.exe has a dual purpose, it runs packages if the SSIS is installed (the SSIS service can be turned off), otherwise it is used to power the Data Export Import Wizard

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 7:14pm

Hi MG,

Just as Arthur said, 64 bit version DTEXEC can be installed after installing the SQL Server database engine, without any shared feature whatsoever. But in this scenario, we cannot run SSIS packaged using DTEXEC. This DTEXEC is used to run the 64-bit version of the Import/Export wizard and to support maintenance plans.

32 bit version DTEXEC can be installed after installing the Management Tools only. But in this scenario, we cannot run SSIS packaged using DTEXEC too. This DTEXEC is used to run the Import/Export wizard only. 

Besides, if we just want to run SSIS packages within BIDS, we can install BIDS without SSIS installed. If we want to run SSIS packages outside BIDS, SSIS installation is required. If you only want to design and to execute SSIS packages, you do not have to start the SSIS service. If you want to list and to monitor SSIS packages in SQL Server Management Studio, you must start the SSIS service.

References:
Install Integration Services
When is DTEXEC installed?

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

August 30th, 2015 10:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics