How do you get to the programs installed on a Windows Server 2012 system
There isn't any start menu or anything.  How the hell do you get to anything?  Do they expect you to just browse down through the filesystem to get to stuff?
September 5th, 2012 11:01pm

Hi,

How about Windows key + Q? Windows key + Q could help open search APPs, we could type the name of the program and find it.

Start menu have some office programs, and when you install programs, we could chose put the shortcuts on the desktop, then we could find them on the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2012 1:33am

Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features, same as in 2008.

Interesting sidelight to Yan's response.  I use the Remote Desktop Connection Manager for access to some of my systems.  If I do the Windows key + Q, the search window opens, and it populates the search string with the letter 'q'.  If I use the RDP connection by itself, Windows key + Q does exactly what it is supposed to do if it is in full screen mode (as expected).  Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone who works with RDCM is watching. <grin>

September 6th, 2012 3:53pm

You can get the Windows Key + Q shortcut to work in RDCM. Right click on the 2012 server name in RDCM and open  Properties. In the Server Properties window click on the Local Resources tab. Uncheck the Inherit from parent checkbox (it is checked by default) and change the Windows key combox dropdown from "In full screen mode only" to "On the remote computer". Afterwards close RDCM and reopen and the Windows Key shortcut combos should work.
October 28th, 2013 6:26pm

same here.. Going nuts with 2012.. Why on earth MSFT want to implement something like this in a server product. Is it not enough Windows8 is driving me nuts already.  This is not going to production. Look like Win2008r2 is going to stay for long time.
April 24th, 2015 6:19pm

Ravi,

Win+x, Win+i, Win+c is all you need. It isnt that hard.

Cheers,

Jan

April 24th, 2015 6:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics