How do i get rid of an encryption certificate?
Server 2003 R2 (file server)Server 2003 Certificate serverWe have a user Cindy who when she encrypts a file on the server via a drive share, the certificate used is one that is revoked.We want to give her a new certificate.This is what we have tryed1) Cindy has logged onto the server directly, run certmgr and removed her certificates.2) Cindy then navigated to the crypto folder and deleted all entries there.3) She then requested a new certificate via cert mgr.4) She then logged into her workstation and encrypted a file on the file server.5) We looked at the certificate used and it was the old one.we did all the same as above for her local machine and that did not work either.we logged onto the certificate server and ran the Certificate manager. we found the particular certificate as a revoked certificate. The software does not allow deletion of a certificate.The real question is this. How do we control what certificate is used in an encryption scenario when a user encrypts a file through a file share onto a file server?We had a microsoft representative remote access our servers for two days and could not solve this issue.It is a simple question. I would be greatful to anyone who can shed some light on this issue. I have read just about every microsoft publication on how encryption works. But no documents i have found yet speaks unambiguously on how to "control" which certificate is used to encrypt a file.Thank YouJerry C
March 17th, 2010 9:33pm

Any Takers?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 18th, 2010 7:29am

Has anyone out there used EFS?
March 19th, 2010 9:25pm

Hi, Please logon the server again with Cindy, run certutil -store -user MY and copy the output here for research. Based on my understanding, if server has got the latest CRL (or delta CRL), the revoked certificate will not be used. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 23rd, 2010 11:11am

Thank you for your reply! When Cindy logs into the file server and runs certutil -store -user MY , she gets this: When she logs onto her xp pro workstation and encrypts a file on that server via a share, she gets this certificate: Note the certificate used is different that the one(s) in the certutil picture. Also the one that gets used is revoked according to the certificate server. Thank you Jerry C
March 23rd, 2010 8:23pm

Hi, Are you using roaming profile? If roaming profile is not being used and you want to log onto the Windows XP computer to encrypt file, please run the command certutil on the Windows XP computer after you logon with Cindy. Meanwhile, please remember that you need to log off the Windows XP computer after you deleted the certificate. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 25th, 2010 8:44am

Thank you for your attention. We are not using roaming profiles. Domain controller is server 2003, files server is different server 2003, certificate server is also different server2003. Here is the certutil result for when Cindy log's onto her XP Pro workstation: Ther certificate does not show up here either!! So my ultimate goal is to have four users able to access a set of encrypted files, but in order to do this, i need to add each one's encryption key's to each file. so that the file may be accessed by all. I cannot do this if i cannot find the particular certificate used when a user encrypts a file. Thank you for your continued interrest. Jerry Cic
March 28th, 2010 7:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics