How do I use DNS to forward a single word typed in the address bar to an external website?
So my communications department which has a certain amount of autonomy, has decided to move the intranet to an externally hosted solution. Previously, it was simple to to point intranet typed in a browser to the internal web server that hosted our old intranet. My thinking would be simply to create an 'A' record with the IP address of the site, however it is more complicated than that. The webhost the new 'intranet' (if we can really call it that anymore, but whatever) actually hosts 10 different websites set up as subdomains, but registered of course with unique domain names, so you cannot simply type the ip address in the browser address bar and be magically whisked away to the correct site. Various departments have had these set up for a variety of reasons. THe website works internally and externally without issue, all I really want to do is allow users on the internal side type 'intranet' into the browser address bar and have DNS resolve this new company 'intranet' with it's own unique and working domain name. Windows Server 2003 AD setup (actually mixed with Server 2008 R2 boxes as DC's as well in other locations but the WIndows Server 2003 box is the DC here in our main office) the www points to our external public facing website and the new 'intranet' is a subdomain of that, but with a unique domain name. Any suggestions how to set this up?
April 2nd, 2013 3:59pm

Hi Kent, Check out this link: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/102942.aspx#imgn_2 No point in me re-typing it as its all there in the link for you. Let me know if you have any further queries. MIf you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 2nd, 2013 8:33pm

Thank you Martin, this is how I have always done it in the past. Problem is, the 'intranet' or better explanation would be 'extranet' is located at a third party host and has a public IP. That public IP hosts about 10 other web sites, so the 'A' record mechanism won't work. and the cname would be fine if it was internal.
April 3rd, 2013 12:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics