How do I update my VMM 2012 SP1 Guest Services to be the same as the Hosts?

VMM 2012 SP1 and Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster

How do I update my VMM Guest Services to be the same as the Hosts?

In VMM 2012 SP1 I right click on a VM and select Install Virtual Guest Services it installs as expected.

Cluster validation reports this error:

The following virtual machines are running integration services that does not match the host computer. You must update the integration services on the virtual machines or the host computer to the same version.

I am able to go to the VM on host and update the Guest Services using the hyper-v manager but I would like it to work in VMM.

The version on the ISOs on the host is.  6.2.9200.16433 and the version being installed by VMM is 6.2.9200.16383.   I am not sure where VMM gets the its guests services from.

Any idea on how I update VMM to match the host?

Thanks,

-Lee

January 24th, 2013 8:45pm

The version on the ISOs on the host is.  6.2.9200.16433 and the version being installed by VMM is 6.2.9200.16433.  

I think you mean its 6.2.9200.16383 or something older, because I got the same issue.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 25th, 2013 5:52pm

Thanks for the catch.   Now if I can just find an answer...
January 25th, 2013 11:02pm

1. From your Hyper-V 2012 Host server launch the Failover Cluster Manager.
2. Expand your cluster and highlight Roles.
3. Right-click the VM with the wrong version of Integration Services and click Connect.
4. When the VM's console opens up click Action and then Insert Integration Services Setup Disk.
5. Log into your VM and browse to the DVD drive with the newest Integration Services Setup disk mounted.
6. Autorun the setup or browse to the x86 or x64 setup.exe file and run it.
7. When installation completes restart the VM and validate your failover cluster again.
8. When you view the Failover Cluster Validation Report, under Hyper-V Configuration | Validate Hyper-V Integration Services Version, Integration services on all clustered virtual machines are up to date.
9. Fixed.

February 9th, 2013 5:09am

Thanks Matt, your post help me so much. Fixed it =).
February 26th, 2013 1:43am

I still would want to know how to update VMM to provide the latest guest service version as well.. :P

Any ideas?

March 24th, 2013 2:48pm

I hope this does not have to be done from each VM in the cluster (hundreds for me in some clusters)?

I am stunned this cant be done in VMM!!  

Validate your cluster????  I am hoping cluster validation is better/faster/less prone to time out storage during the storage tests in 2012?  

Does Microsoft know how easy this is to do in VMware? (shift click all VM's, right click "Install/Upgrade VMware Tools) 

May 28th, 2013 3:18pm

I found this powershell script to fully automate the installation of the IC.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Automated-Install-of-Hyper-edc278ef

If you want you could also do this with Orchestrator.

May 28th, 2013 7:03pm

Hi Guys

Same problem for me ! MS will have to do something for VMM and for us to be able to update easier.

Alex

June 3rd, 2013 1:26pm

I hope this does not have to be done from each VM in the cluster (hundreds for me in some clusters)?

I am stunned this cant be done in VMM!!  

Validate your cluster????  I am hoping cluster validation is better/faster/less prone to time out storage during the storage tests in 2012?  

Does Microsoft know how easy this is to do in VMware? (shift click all VM's, right click "Install/Upgrade VMware Tools)

July 10th, 2013 2:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics