How do I setup Server 2008 Performance alerts to send email?
I setup a performance counter alert on a server and the only action for alerting is to add an entry to the event viewer. Is there a way to do it with the "alert task" tab?
October 5th, 2009 10:22pm

You can setup the performance counter alert to be logged in the event log and then setup a scheduled task that will alert and send an email every time the event is logged
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 5th, 2009 10:48pm

Hi Squall24, Thank you for posting in windows forum, Gary suggestion is correct. you need to configure the appropriate script in ordert to send an email to the performance counter. Repro--start --. run --> perfmon--navigate to performance logs and alerts --> Alerts --create a new alert and specifiy the required values--Under action tab --> Run this program --> enter the vbs script ( eg: cscript //nologo c:\Scripts\sai.vbs)in this vbs script you would specify the code to send an email to yourself.sainath !analyze
October 6th, 2009 4:51am

Dear Sainath, this is not possible with the perfmon delivered with Server 2008. There is no option to navigate to performance logs and alerts --> Alerts Question: Any idea what to do in MS Server 2008 to run a program defined as an action all the time an alert is triggered? Solution: Define a task with task scheduler first when using MSS 2008 Cheers! Chris Meanwhile I found the solution. See my other post below.
October 26th, 2009 2:20pm

I setup a performance counter alert on a server and the only action for alerting is to add an entry to the event viewer. Is there a way to do it with the "alert task" tab? As I learned MS Server 2008 uses another approach. All jobs became centralized and manageable with the task scheduler. If you want to create an alert trigger to run batches / scripts, it is necessary to first create a scheduled task. Later on this can be used when defining the perfmon alert and action. This differs from the older Server versions where you could define the program to be executed directly within the perfmon action tab. Now it's the other way around. No clue why microsoft did not link from inside perfmon to the task scheduler in order to create the missing task on the fly... BTW: I recommend to use bmail to send the alert notification. Less searching, more productivity. Cheers Chris
October 26th, 2009 2:51pm

There is an option to send an email alert via task scheduler in Server 2008. Simply select the task and then select "attach task to this event"However, it doesn't work for beans. I didn't want to make the server a domain member (What I understood needed to happen to get authentication working) and I scoured to the edge of the earth to try to make it work with no avail. Workaround, I simply installed bmail command line mailing utility (Free) and scheduled task to run an application.bmail script is like this:bmail -s smtpserver.tld -t recipent@contsco.com -f sender@domain.com -h -a "Alert Notice Subject" -b "xyz alert has been triggered. Microsoft task alert's via email lick balls." Thanks,-Brian Brian J. Brandon, CCNP Zuit Security Research and DefenseHttp://www.Zuit.net
February 9th, 2010 3:18pm

Zuit - I'm not sure what is going on in your setup but the task schedule email action DOES work as designed. I had created a monitor to check how much memory was free on my servers, if it fell below my threshold it would log an entry in the eventlog. I then used task scheduler to search for this event ID and gave it the SMTP address of my mail server. Sure enough as soon as the memory monitor was triggered an event log entry was written and a few seconds later I had an email in inbox. This was done on both Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 systems. There was no need for any additional email server software or scripts to execute an email alert triggered by a perfmon monitor.
December 7th, 2010 3:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics