How do I set up my PDC to synchronize with a specific NTP server?
I have a very small domain with a single Domain Controller (Windows 2008 R2). Despite trying several things that I've read (such as w32tm.exe /config blah blah blah)...and stopping and starting the time service, and making sure that port 132 is open for incoming and outgoing messages on the Windows firewall, I am unable to get my PDC to sync up with a known NTP server. We just moved from a workgroup to a domain, and it was a lot easier when there was just an "Internet Time" tab on the "Adjust Date and Time" function, but with the domain, that tab went away. I get that all the computers in the domain will get their time from the PDC, but how to I sync up the PDC to my chosen NTP server (time.missouri.edu)? I'm looking for some specific, step-by-step instructions on how to make this work, so if you can point me to some that will actually work, I'd appreciate it.
June 24th, 2010 5:13am

Hi Scott , these might be useful for Windows 2008 Step 1: Net time /setsntp: W32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist: W32tm /config /reliable:yes W32tm /config /update W32tm /resync Pause Exit Step 2: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config] "AnnounceFlags"=dword:00000005 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters] "Type"="NTP" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer] "Enabled"=dword:00000001 Step 3: Net stop w32time Net start w32time Net time Pause Exit Command in login script: Net Time \\<LocalTimeServer'sName /Set /Yes Regards. Shafaquat Ali. M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007 M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008 M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2010 7:47am

Hi ScottDarth , Thanks for posting here. Please understand that by default all domain client computers will using PDC as their in-bound time partner. You may like to set external time source on PDC with following “Configuring the Windows Time service to use an external time source” which included in KB 816042. How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042 Thanks. Tiger Li PS: On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 24th, 2010 11:23am

Hi Scott , Any updates ? Regards. Shafaquat Ali.M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007 M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008 M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2010 10:34am

No joy. I've followed the instructions but have yet to sync with the ntp server. My server is consistently almost 3 minutes slower than computers off the domain who synchronize directly with an NTP server listed on the 'Internet Time' tab.
July 2nd, 2010 12:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics