How do I push files to remote machine in a network?
Hi,I'm in a corporate network using machine A running windows xp pro. I have administrator privilege on this machine and all machines in the network are connected to the windows server (DC). Is it possible to push or transfer documents/files from my machine to remote machine B? If so, what are the ways available beside share drives?Pls advice.Thanks.
March 11th, 2010 4:04pm

Hello,you can use logon or startup scripts with GPOs to to copy files to the machines for example. But whatever option you use a folder share where the file resides is of course needed, normally it should be a file server in the domain. Really small files can maybe copied from the \\domainname\netlogon share.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 11th, 2010 4:40pm

Hi , A best way is to set up a file server which acts as central location to store and retrieve files and also it would be easy for backing up data. Get the advantage of enabling file server on windows 2003 such as disk quotas , indexing services etc... Follow the link below http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325860It is not practicle to make a xp client as file server and in organization administrators / engineers wont perform the task.Once you have configured the file server, client will connect to the file server either through a) Map driveb) \\servername ( either netbios , fqdn , or ipaddress )
March 12th, 2010 10:13am

Hi and thanks for reply. Basically what happened was other time the administrator wants to transfer documents to me and all he required is my ip address. The next thing i know was that he informed me that the documents had been transferred to a folder in my C drive and asked me to retrieve it from there. So I like to understand how that can be achieved transparently? Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2010 8:51am

Hello,you wan't get a message from the system if new files are on your computer, either the remote admin has to tell you or use net send, email or phone to give you the information that he is ready with copying.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 13th, 2010 9:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics