How do I migrate workstation users from one domain to another?
I have a bunch of users on Windows XP workstations. They were previously in a Windows Server 2003 domain which has already been stripped out. The users have continued to log on without the domain controller. I have now got a new Windows Server 2003 domain controller setup with a new domain. What steps should I take to migrate each user on each workstation to the new domain, while retaining their current user profile, migrating it to the new domain? Thanks.
June 28th, 2010 2:16pm

Hello, you can't migrate the users as at the moment they work with cached credentials and no user account itself exist on the local machine. They where lost when you have removed the old domain controller. As they have to be added to the new domain you have to TEST, if after adding a machine to the new domain you can copy the profile via System Properties, Advanced, User profiles (Settings button) from the old user account to a new created domain user profile that must be logged on to the machine once.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2010 2:32pm

the user profile wont really be retained, as the user in the new domain has eg a new unique sid. you can however use tools like USMT 4 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560801(WS.10).aspx) or easy transfer to transfer the user profiles to the new users profile.
June 28th, 2010 2:35pm

Hello, you can't migrate the users as at the moment they work with cached credentials and no user account itself exist on the local machine. They where lost when you have removed the old domain controller. As they have to be added to the new domain you have to TEST, if after adding a machine to the new domain you can copy the profile via System Properties, Advanced, User profiles (Settings button) from the old user account to a new created domain user profile that must be logged on to the machine once. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. It's difficult to understand exactly what you mean, but I will give this a go. the user profile wont really be retained, as the user in the new domain has eg a new unique sid. you can however use tools like USMT 4 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560801(WS.10).aspx ) or easy transfer to transfer the user profiles to the new users profile. The USMT 4 appears to be unavailable for download, while 3.0.1 is. What is recommended for Windows Server 2003? Cheers.
June 28th, 2010 3:05pm

Hello, on each computer the user profile is stored under Documents and settings folder. If you have added the computer to the new domain all existing userprofiles are still on the machine and can be accessed from a local computer administrator. So if the machine is member of the new domain you can not longer logon with cacched credentials like you do now but after a domain user has logged on once, for this new account a new profile is created under Documents and settings folder. Don't configure anything as the new user, logoff after the profile is created. Now logon as an administrator, as this account can access all user profiles stored under Documents and settings folder. If you now choose the above described way you should be able to copy the account profile from old domain user to the the new created user profile.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 28th, 2010 3:16pm

USMT 3.0 should work with W2K3. USMT 4 should work as well, its part of the WAIK for Win7 afaik (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34&displaylang=en)
June 28th, 2010 3:40pm

Meinolf, I followed your instructions and advise. However, when you go the the "User Profiles" the account on the old domain appears as "Account Unknown". I am unable to "Copy To", it is greyed out. The machine is now no longer on a domain, it's on a workgroup instead and I appear to be unable to get it back onto the old domain. Can you advise further?
August 15th, 2010 3:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics