How do I create a Data Source in SSRS Report Builder 3.0?

I am new to SQL Server 2012 Express Edition which I have installed and I have three AdventureWorks databases.

I am in Microsoft SQL Server Report Builder connected to report server http://davidlane-hp/ReportServer_SQLEXPRESS and trying to add a data source.

I right click Data Sources in the sidebar, click add data source, add a data source name, click next to Use a connection embedded in my report, click Build...

Data source: is Microsoft SQL Server SqlClient

Server name:  Is this supposed to be davidlane-hp?

Use Windows Authentication

Select or enter a database name.  I click the down arrow expecting a list of database names but I am not getting any database names appearing in a list.

I cannot get these data sources added, please help.

Regards

David Lane.

March 25th, 2015 11:11pm

Hello,

Please refer to the following tutorial.

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertutorial/2107/report-builder-data-sources/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2015 1:09am

Hello,

Did you enable TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocols?

Have you configure Windows Firewall to allow SQL Server access?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

March 26th, 2015 3:14am

I have not tried either of those things nor do I know how to. What I do know is that I am successfully connecting to http:/davidlane-hp/ReportServer_SQLEXPRESS I am also successfully running query reports in Report Builder 3.0 using an old shared data source for the AdventureWorks database. I just cannot seem to add a new data source even after trying for 1.5 hours to get it to work as described in my initial question.
March 26th, 2015 5:13am

Hi David Lane,

I have tested on my local environment and can reproduce the issue. Your issue cause by you are using the SQL Server 2012 Express Edition, when creating the datasource to add the server name which is different from other edition(Enterprise). You need to enter the "<servername>\<instancename>" as the servername(For example:davidlane-hp\MSSQLEXPRESS) , but not just the <Servername>.

For the Instance Name you can find in by click the "Reporting Services Configuration Management" and you will find the it:

If you still have any problem, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Vicky Liu

March 26th, 2015 5:24am

Hi Vicky

When I look at Reporting Services Configuration Manager it opens with the screen telling me that my Server Name: DAVIDLANE-HP and my Report Server Instance: SQLEXPRESS

When I place DAVIDLANE-HP\SQLEXPRESS in as the Server Name . . . it WORKS!!

I have a drop down list of databases now.  I select a database and test connection and it connects successfully.

Thank you very much Vicky.

Regards

David Lane.

March 26th, 2015 11:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics