How do I configure network cards in Hyper-V virtual sessions
I guess I missed the HOW TO part, but in a client OS how do I configure the NIC to accept the Hyper-V NIC? Thanks Joe Serocki joeserocki@gmail.com
December 31st, 2007 8:38pm

If your client OS supports the vmbus (currently 2003 r2 and 2008 does that) you'll add the network card to the virtual machine. If it doesn't support the vmbus you'll add the legacy network card and it'll find it on restart. For your client os to have connectivity you'll need to configure virtual networking, creating a switch which is bound to your physical adapter.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 2nd, 2008 10:59pm

Let me be a bit more descriptive. I insert the disk on a 2k3R2 server, and I get "An error has occurred: One of the update processes returned error code 61658." How do I identify the cause of the error and attempt to find a resolution? Thanks!
January 6th, 2008 7:32am

You'll need the Hyper-V beta and your 2K3R2 server needs to be servicepack 2. Is this the case?
January 8th, 2008 10:40am

I have 2008 Hyper-v up and running.Created a guest OS VM running Server 2003per your posting.... just updated server 2003 to SP2 and shut down the VM, brought it back up and still no internet connection. The only hint is that when I go to control panel/system/device mangler in the 2003 server, there is no NIC....just a "Unknown device" right after "Monitor".I do have the logical network set up in Hyper-v as an externall network bound to my server's NIC . I can get to the internet from the 2008/Host server...but not from the 2003/guest server.What am I missing?thanks in advance.....Ken
February 3rd, 2008 4:28am

Have you installed the integration components? This should load the driver for the vmbus network adapter. They should work OK if you have SP2 installed in the guest.
February 3rd, 2008 6:14am

If you only have a single NIC in your machine, that NIC becomes a virtual network switch for your entire system. If you have more than one NIC, you have to specify one or more of those NICs for use by Hyper-V. Every one you specify becomes a virtual network switch. On the network switches, you need to define virtual networks that can then be assigned to the virtual machines. This is if you are using either Windows Server 2003 sp2 or Windows Server 2008, as mentioned in earlier replies. If you are using another operating system, you need to add the Legacy Network Adapter to your virtual machine. From the Virtual Machine Manager in the Server Manager, you select the Virtual Network Manager... under Actions to create your virtual networks. Select a virtual machine and select Settings... under Actions and you can add the virtual network. If you set this up on an external network that provides DHCP./DNS, you should get your IP from the DHCP server. If you set it up on an Internal or Private network, you can manage your IP. tgc
February 16th, 2008 5:42am

Did you ever get this to work? I am running Win2k3 SP2 and have the same unknown device error....
March 14th, 2008 2:17am

Same question as before. Have you installed the integration components? This should install the required driver. There are integration components for server 2003 with SP2.
March 14th, 2008 7:57am

That was a good tip. I had installed three other vms using Win2k8 and the integration components installed automatically. So on the Win2k3 vm I added them which added the MS VMbus Adaptor. However I still cannot communicate to my network.....
March 14th, 2008 2:07pm

That is a completely different matter. What network is it conncted to? Where does it get its network config from? If you do an ipconfig on this machine, how does it compare with an ipconfig of another machine on the network?
March 15th, 2008 4:06am

I figured it out it was an IP conflict. Thanks for your help, this is very neat stuff!
March 15th, 2008 2:59pm

Yep, it's pretty cool. And once you get the hang of it, pretty useful as well. You can build quite complex network configs on just one host machine, using vms as routers.
March 16th, 2008 9:38am

I'm confused.I have WS 08 running with HyperV. I have 2 NIC's one dedicated to WS 08 the other to be used by the VM's. I have a Vista 64 and XP running. I was expecting to be able to keep both OS's running but I can't get them to share the NIC in real time. What am I doing wrong. I have tried both legacy NIC and regular virtual NIC devices.
July 1st, 2008 7:18pm

That works fine for me. You create a virtual network linked to the physical NIC and then link the NIC in the vm to that network.If you can only run one vm it could be caused by your physical switch. Some switches will only allow one MAC address per port on the switch. This will prevent a second vm using it, since its MAC address will be different. This has cropped up in the past with Virtual Server.Bill
July 2nd, 2008 3:13am

I have the same issue on a 2900, may sound stupid, but what exactly is a "legacy" NIC or vmbus? I installed 32bit as guest and it tells me for the Integrated Components using wrong version of Windows.any reply would be appreciated.
August 5th, 2008 12:31am

The synthetic NIC used by default with Hyper-V uses the VMBus. The drivers for this are loaded when you install the Integration Components. What OS have you installed it the vm? Is the host running the latest (RTM) version of Hyper-V? If you are running the current version of Hyper-V and a supported OS in the vm, installing the ICs will load the drivers for the synthetic NIC. If you cannot use the synthetic NIC you will need to set up support for the "legacy" NIC. This is the emulated NIC used in VPC and Virtual Server. Most 32-bit OSs have drivers for this NIC.Bill
August 5th, 2008 5:53am

Hardware OS is 2008 Std 64-bit, all updates applied including latest Hyper-V. Vm is 2003 R2 32-bit, problem is I cannot install the IC, it says its wrong OS version. From memory, I use menu to connect IC CDand it pops-up in vm no prob, choices are amd or86x, it refuese to recognize os from 86x.I don't have 64-bit 2003 so I cant test that. I'm sure the IC is the issue, if I could only get it installed.Do I need to apply SP to R2 first? I have been down this road a million times, there is always some simple step missing. . .
August 5th, 2008 4:17pm

Did you actually read what it said in the box when you tried to install the ICs? Doesn't it tell you which OSs are supported? If not, here they are. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-supported-guest-os.aspxServer 2003 needs SP2 installed.Bill
August 6th, 2008 3:20am

iig did u ever get this working with your dell 2900? mibblemibble@yahoo.com
October 11th, 2008 4:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics