How do I configure Win Server 2008 R2 with 2 NICs, one on VLAN, other on cable modem (Internet)?
I have a PC with 2 NICs installed and with Windows Server 2008 R2 installed (I'll call this the server PC). The server PC has an NVIDIA NIC connected to an external switch to use as a VLAN connection (other PCs can connect to the switch and be on the VLAN). The server PC also has a Realtek NIC connected to a cable modem, which connects to the Internet. Please explain how I can configure Server 2008 so that: 1) Everyone on the VLAN has Internet access and the server PC has Internet access. 2) DHCP is enabled. One would think this would be easy to accomplish, but after a couple hours of trying to configure Server 2008: 1) The server PC has internet access, but no one on the VLAN does. 2) A PC on the VLAN is being served a valid dynamic IP address, but a ping fails from server PC to VLAN PC and also fails from VLAN PC to server PC. Running ipconfig on the server PC shows that DHCP is enabled, but PCs on the VLAN do not show up on the list (both NICs in the server PC do show up in the list). I haven't found any step-by-step instructions for setting up Windows Server 2008 R2 for different network configurations. Thanks for any help you can provide.
February 11th, 2011 8:24am

Hi I dont normally reccomend having this sort of setup where u have 2 ip addresses on one server esp if the server is hosting dns... if it were possible i would rather you get even a simple linksys router connect the lan to a port on the switch which is on the same vlan as the other machines and connect the cable modem to the internet port on the router.. i am recomending linksys because it is simpler to a install not too complicated since you say you are a new networking guy But if you insist on sharing the interent on the server then there are a few things we need to know , plus either way we first need to resolve the issue why pc cannot ping server pc.. :) 1. can you post an ipconfig /all of the server pc lan NIC, and an ipconfig /all of the PC recieving dhcp from the server 2. is your server PC also configured as a DNS server tech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2011 3:29pm

To allow the clients to share the server's Internet connection you need to configure RRAS as a NAT router. You do not need to install DHCP on the server. You can configure NAT to give the clients their network config. As mentioned above you should not do this if the server is a DNS server (and even more so if it is a DC). Bill
February 12th, 2011 2:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics